15. Don't Be Sad

March...

"You don't want a birthday party ?!" Kate can't believe what I just told her. "Hey, Alex, wake up ! You're only going to be 17 once in your life ! You can't miss that !"

"Kate, I told you : I just don't feel the 'birthday' mood this year. Maybe next time ?" I say to her, laying on my bed, my eyes closed. I hear her walking around my room, pestering.

"I don't care about what you have to say." she finally says. "You're going to have a small party next week, with your brother, uncle, Jacob, Embry, Quil and I. You're going to have presents, some cake and a lot of fun. And that, girl, is a promise !"

I sigh, knowing nothing will change her mind. I pass a hand in my hair and when I brush it, I feel something weird. I open my eyes, sit up and stare at the hand. My. Hair. Is falling off. I thought I would have another month before it happened ! I stare at it for a few seconds until I run to the bathroom. I hear Kate behind me but I shut the door and lock myself in it.

"Alex ! Open the door !" she yells, pounding on the door. I don't listen to her, I stand in front of the mirror and stare at my reflection. I still can't look at myself in the eyes, but I still gaze at my hair. And at the distinct hole I see in it.

I let the chunk of hair fall in the bin and I sit on the cold floor. My hands are trembling on their own and I can't stop them. I never thought it would happen or that it would be real. But it's happening. And I'm losing my black hair.

"Seriously ! Consider yourself lucky that you're my BFF !" I hear her pester. "I had to go down, get a knife and crack open the door. Let me say, if the lock is broken, you can only blame yourself !" she blabbers until she sees me on the floor.

"Oh... it's happening. I'm so sorry, Alexandra !" she cries, kneeling next to me. I nod and say nothing. I don't know what to say.

*****

"There. It's done." Jacob tells me, putting the razor down. I glance at my reflection and I have to stifle a cry. I'm now bald. And I hate it.

"We can buy you a wig if you want. You won't have to go in public like this." he motions my hair and bites his lip. He is clearly embarrassed by how I look now and I have to agree with him.

"I have enough money to buy it myself. I'll go and buy it with Kate, don't worry." I reassure him.

It is true, I have money : working at the dinner pays off. I then come to the realization that I have to tell Julie about my... condition. I hope she'll keep me, but I know very well how it's going to go : she'll have to fire me.

*****

"Come on ! Let's get started ! Show me the wigs !" I smile at Kate's enthusiasm and get them out of the drawer. I bought them yesterday, but I can't decide which one to keep, so I called my best friend to the rescue. One is black and the other blond. They are both short length, and a bit curly, like my old hair used to be. She stares at them and asks me to put them on.

I start with the blond one, to which she just shakes her head. "It doesn't suit you well. Take the black one." I put the second one on and turn around to face her.

"Oh. My. Spirits. It's as if you weren't bald ! I really like it !" she says, before putting her hand over her mouth, realizing what she just said.

She knows it's kind of a touchy subject, but I've come to accept my state after a day or two. "It's alright."

*****

"I can't keep you in the kitchen, but you can register people. It's easy and you won't have to work much ! Don't stress over it, sweety !" Julie and her bubbly nature just saved my life.