9

When Tyler and Josh pulled up at Tyler's mother's, josh could tell Tyler was anxious. There was already a lot of people here given all the cars outside. "Hey. If you want to leave just let me know and we can okay?" Josh askdd. Tyler nodded and they got out of the car. They walked hand and hand up to the front door then Tyler rang the door bell.

He nuzzled his face agisnt Josh's arm smiling softly when Josh kissed his forehead. When the door opened Tyler pushed away from Josh to hig his mother. she kissed his temple and told him she was happy he came.

When she released him she looked to Josh. "You must be Josh. I'm Tyler's mom." She said. "Yes hi." Josh said reaching his hand out for her to shake but she hugged him instead. He chuckled a bit when she released him and then they headed into the house.

Tyler held Josh's hand as they walked around the house saying hi to everyone. When the food was done they each got a plate and they sat by each other to eat.

More people showed up and Tyler figured out very quickly that when his mom has a family dinner it's more like a family party. He got very nervous very fast and stopped eating. Instead be fiddled with his fingers and chewed on his lip.

"You okay?" Josh asked softly. Tyler looked up at him. Can we take a break? He signed. Josh nodded immediately and set his plate down. "Yeah come on." He said. Tyler grabbed his hand and was quick to drag josh through the house and up the stairs.

They went to a room at the very end of the hall and Tyler shut the door. Josh walked over and hugged him. "Hey you're okay." He said. Tyler sniffled and nuzzled closer. "Do you want to go home?" Josh asked. Tyler shrugged. It was only early he didnt want his mom to get upset if he left so quickly.

"Its okay if you want to." Josh said. Tyler shook his head. He just needed a minute. He'd be okay. The two sit on the bed that was in the room in total silence. The only noise coming from Tyler's family chatting downstairs.

"Is this your old room?" Josh asked suddenly looking around. Tyler nodded. josh nodded too. "Its cute." He said. Tyler smiled softly and pulled back from where he was hiding in Josh's neck. Josh smiled at him, his smile widening when Tyler leaned forward looking for a kiss.

They headed back downstairs when Tyler decided he was ready and they sat in the living room with some of Tyler's cousins, aunts and uncles. Tyler curled up at Josh's side while Josh talked to his family and ended up falling asleep after a while.

When it started to die down a bit and some people left Tyler's mother came in and sat in the chair next to Josh. "I'm so happy that Tyler has met someone as amazing and kind as you. Not too many people take it too well when he doesnt talk. They take it personal and get angry and take it out on him." She said.

Josh frowned at that. "how could somebody get angry at Tyler?" He asked. She shook her head. "I dont know. Hes a sweet boy and would never harm anyone or anything.. he let's people hurt him though and I could never tell you why." She sighed.

"What do you mean?" Josh asked. She sighed again. "A lot of Tyler's past relationships have been with really shitty guys who treated him horribly. They'd get mad at him for the slightest inconvenience and yell at him all the time.. and he always just let them. He always just put up with it." She said.

"Why would he do that to himself?" Josh asked, hugging Tyler a little tighter. She shrugged. "I dont know.. I really wish he wouldnt do that though... he needs to learn how to stand up for himself... but I guess that's hard when he wont talk." She said.

"Has he always been mute?" Josh asked. "No." She shook her head. "Only since his father." She said. "What happened with his father?.. if you dont mind me asking." He said. "He left... me and him got a divorce. Tyler took it really hard.." she trailed off.

"Tyler's father had gotten angry with him because Tyler didnt want him to go. His father said some pretty nasty things to him..He was usually really quiet after that. He wasnt mute at that point but he just wasnt the same." She said. Josh nodded.

"He tried to talk to his dad about a year later, trying to fix their relationship and stuff but it ended up in another fight.. Tyler still hasn't told me exactly what happened or what was said but it must've been pretty bad... that's when he stopped talking all together."  She said. Josh frowned but nodded.

He kissed Tyler's forehead. Tyler slept through the rest of the party, josh had to wake him up once everyone else had left. He looked around confusedly for a second before looking to Josh. "Hey baby boy. You ready to go home?" Josh asked. Tyler nodded and let Josh pick him up.

They said their goodbyes and headed out to the car. Tyler fell asleep again on the drive home.