Constant Noise

"Yaaaw," the sound of my own voice sounds as I wake up from my slumber. A ringing in my ears fills the room, the loud noise of the bar from the night before still sits in the pit of my stomach, and that man...

Standing up, I make my way over to the kitchen, brewing myself a sweet coffee and pouring myself a bowl of cereal. It probably wasn't the best day to get a hangover, especially when I'm starting a new job.

Once finished, I go to my closet, putting on my casual work attire, after all they did say I wouldn't need a uniform. Leaving my house, I make my way down town. Headphones in my ears I hum to the gentle noise of rain filling my head, despite the summer breeze. Turning corner, I look at the address on my piece of paper, 6475 Lodger Street. Looking up, I see the building I need to be in. "Sanction City Police Department." I quote to myself, gazing up at the tall obscure mirrored cuboid.

Entering, my senses are tensed by the buzzing of a phone and the stench of strong beverages. My head wandering, I look down a hallway to my right, the morgue. "Can I help you?" Asks a woman sitting behind the main reception desk, a cigarette in hand. Her days are numbered. I walk forward, leaning on the metal post; "Yes, my name is Thawn Heatherstone, I'm the new assistant." She paused.
"Ahhh, I see. Nice to meet you Mr. Heatherstone." She nods, a cloud of smoke filling our vicinity. Leaning down she opens a draw, grabbing a staff land yard and handing me a form to fill in. I take a pen with my slender fingers, gloves cover my hands.

"You're resume was just what we were looking for, may I ask, why would you want a job in assistance if your graduated top of your class?" Her eyes lingered on my gloves. I froze, shit, why do people have to be so nosy. "I don't like the blame being on me if stuff goes wrong."
I spoke, it was partially true.

"I see," A voice echoes from behind me, chiming into are conversation, "Smart kid,"; it was deep and husky. I turned round, a tall man holding a mug stares at me, smiling. "Rocker, Detective.Rocker, and you are?"
"He's your new assistant, Rocker." The woman at the desk notes, a glimmer in her eyes as she looks at the man, I don't blame her, he is quite attractive. "I'm Thawn, Heatherstone." He continues to smile, how can someone be so happy? Especially in today's society.

Once I fill out the form, I'm directed down the left corridor as I come into an open desk filled area. Multiple policemen sit in front of computers, some talking to criminals who wait patiently for their lawyers to arrive.

I look for my new co-worker, only to find he is busy talking to a man who has his back faced to mine. My feet drag me as his iris' meet mine, his a dark brown. "Ahhh, Thawn. This is Matt, he's one of the lead investigators here at Sanction." I nod as the man turns round, you've gotta be kidding me.

A sharp jawline outlines his stubbled face, his dark hazel eyes glaring at me as a smirk sits on his jaw. "Bad day?" He jokes. I sigh. "Tell me about it." I murmur.
"You two know each other?" Asks Rocker, confusion filling his cheeks. "Saw him at the bar last night, let's just say he didn't want to talk." A snigger falters from his lips. "Anyway, I've gotta get back to Monsheti, we're working on a missing person case which came up." I gulped, nodding kindly, hesitant to reply at all.

Saying goodbye, Matt left the buzzing office, leaving me alone with Rocker. Before we could engage in conversation, his phone began to ring. He held it to his face, "Yes, got it," He looked at me. "Mhm I'm with him. We'll be there soon." Placing it back in his pocket he started grabbing his necessities, watch, notepad. "We've got a scene in downtown, some body found in alley, looks like a homicide, welcome to Sanction City Thawn!" He joked, walking past me hurriedly.