Immunity

Worn wooden floorboards lined the pavement of Rockers apartment, subtle differences in textures sprawled among the entrance room where clear to see as a cluttered shelving unit sat to our right. "Sorry, I wasn't expecting guests," He jokes, hurrying forward and reorganising the shelf. "It's ok, I don't mind."

Upon entering the separate kitchen room, a cold breeze hit my chest. Goosebumps displayed on my arms as I began to shiver in the surprising climate. The wind was clearly being distributed by the open window which viewed the outside world. Sounds of the busy city echoed into the dark room. Rocker walked around me, pacing towards a small lamp which he flicked on gently; providing us with a generous light source. He closed the window before taking my bag and placing it on the dining table across the room. "Take a seat, i need to clear out my room before you can go inside to sleep so you'll have to give me a few." He spoke, rushing into the hallway.

I let out a subtle yell, "What are you talking about? I'll sleep on the couch!". My words were swiftly shunned by a strong response, "No, as an officer it is my job to provide anyone of vulnerability the most sincere level of safety available. My room has a bathroom with a lock installed, meaning that's the safest place for you to sleep." His voice grew louder as he returned into the living-dining room. "Pffft, don't be stupid. I'll be fine here." I hummed, standing up and closing the window, locking it tightly at the latch. "See," I gestured towards the lock.

Rocker rolled his eyes abruptly, disgruntled by my actions

Rocker rolled his eyes abruptly, disgruntled by my actions. "Well if you ain't gonna sleep there then I have will, so take your pick; this uncomfortable square concrete block, or a nice warm bed." He exaggerated heavily with his word choice.

Letting out a sigh, I forcefully agreed to sleep in his room. Rocker lead me through the hallway and through a door, his bedroom was modern and slick, sophisticated yet surprisingly dull and monotone in personality. "Your room seems... fitting." I joked, nudging his arm. He looked away in grief. Falling on the bed, I felt my body give way to a relived indulgence. My back arching painfully as it cracked from the longer period of sitting I had been recently participating in.

Rocker, who had left the room, returned with not only my bag but a mug of steaming earl grey tea. "Thank you," I smiled, taking the hot beverage from his hands. "Hopefully it can cool your nerves," He spoke, consequently sitting on a black chair in the corner of the room.

Lost for conversation, the brief moment of relaxation left me transfixed by Rockers stature. His legs spread, I found myself watching his face gestures as he began to check his laptop -which he had pulled from one of his drawers- for emails. Dark chocolate eyes were ignited by a swarm of colour as his laptop buzzed with electric light. My eyes traced his face, only leading themselves to his silky hair which caressed his cheekbones so eagerly. I shook my head in defeat, thinking things like this about a coworker will get me nowhere in life.

Looking for further entertainment, I walked around the room and quickly found a bookshelf: various novels of fiction and non-fiction charmed the shelves. Books examine human psychology and crime sat high on the rows. Lower down one could see a collection of embarrassing romance novels, which I was most definitely not supposed to see. Peeping out from below the shelf was a small configuration of paper, kneeling down I withdrew them; reading their contents.

"A lovers quarrel"
A playwright by Rocker Browley
Page 1 of 530
Act 1, Scene 1

Flustered with both confusion and personal guilt I was quick to turn to Rocker who still sat in the chair, holding out the papers; I let out a loud and most definitely devilish cough. "Ahem..." his head snapped violently, only for a disapproving look of horror to morph on his face. "Give me that!" He grunted childishly, snatching the stack of papers from my hands. Releasing a small giggle I proceeded to tease him, "This is getting rather 'heated' don't you think?" I joked, wiggling my eyebrows mischievously. He stood in shock at my meddling behaviour, "Whatever, don't look through my personal belongings." Clearly I had made him irritated; he tried to focus back on his work.

"So you're a novelist, playwright?" I asked curiously, sitting on the bed as my eyes wandered the disheveled room. "You could say that," His voice traced with a gleam of both sadness and loss of hope.
"Don't be like that!" I found myself wandering over to lean on the chair by his side. "I'm sure you're an amazing writer, you shouldn't put yourself down..."

Glaring at me he spoke, "Thawn, why are you being so close all of a sudden," I began to undoubtedly also ask the same thing. "Before you would never get this close to anyone. You would barely go in a few feet of colleagues." He joked, closing the laptop. "Did... did that guy make you like that?"
"No!" I spoke with enthusiasm. "I mean... not particularly, I have my reasons." Ashamed of my previous behaviour, my head lowered to the  floor. "You're always so closeted, you never really speak to anyone but the ones you're forced to communicate with. I barely know you and you're suppose to be my work partner."
"I couldn't agree more," Words flooded out of me, a sigh creasing my throat which had begun to dry. "It's, complicated you see. It's hard for most people to understand. Of course, I don't mean that mentally, more just in the act of logic." My hand brushed through my hair, slender fingers winding slowly around my ears, cuffing them in white strands.
"You can tell me,"
"Hmm?"
"You can tell me what you think I won't understand." Rocker stood up from the chair, laptop placed on the floor, "I will listen to what you have to say, if you can't use words just show me," He stood unguarded, hands by his side. "I don't know," I rubbed my arm fearfully, my legs felt weak as if I could collapse at any moment. "Please, just help me to understand why you're like this..."

In one instant, I dragged my arms forward. Swiftly removed my gloves, I dropped them to the floor, a light thud sounding moments later. "Don't hate me," I took my palms into Rockers, he stood emotionless as my fingers intertwined with his. Leaning upwards, I bent my head back, stalking towards his face. My crescent lips caressed his, a gentle kiss of crimson red blossoming from our mouths. Warmness sprouted from my lips, a current of saliva dribbling from the corner of my mouth. Drawing back, I looked intently at his surprised look. "Do you feel it?"
"Feel what?" He spoke, as if a bird had merely passed by. "That's strange," Overwhelmed with guilt, I began to drag myself away. Rocker seemed unaffected by my actions. "If this is about you being gay, then I just wanna let you know that it's something I think everyone is already informed about and..."
"No,"
"Oh, well, that's a bit awkward." He stood, scratching his head.
"I don't understand," Confusion faltered my thoughts.

——————•
Hi! This chapter may seem a bit slow but that's because it's setting up for the next few, where a lot of thing will be happening 😉 💖 Keep reading, I assure you it's worth it 🥰🌸

Please remember to vote for my book and leave comments, input is greatly appreciated! Also follow for updates on when new chapters are out and for any of my announcements! Thanks for reading! xx

💖💕💫✨🥰Puzex4🥰✨💫💕💖