Chapter 1. Growing up.

I set flowers down by my sister's grave carefully.
She always loved white and red flowers. They remind her of freedom. Standing up and gently brushing some dirt of the stone that marks her resting place I moved on.

Father and brother were waiting for me.

"Anika, did you say goodbye to Dancing Willow?" Father asks.

"Yes sir. And that is not my name. I hate the name Anika and that we have to change who we are because of white man." I sneer.

"Do not judge a whole community based on a few bad people. We will move to a new place. You are turning into a woman soon you need to behave like one." Father says.

Stayed silent and hopped on my horse bare back. Spirit never left my side she's always been with me.

"Come, "Lee"." I say to my three year old brother.

Everyone's name has changed. Mine used to be Spotted Feather. "Lee"'s name used to be Hunting Mountain before it was changed. Father doesn't like to talk about his name as it reminds him of my sister. Mother is sitting quietly on her horse waiting for us to leave.

----

As we were on the trail we decided to settle at a place called Valentine. We put up camp here and it's a fairly decent place.

"Can we go into town?" I ask my father.

"You're grown. You can make the decision as well as keeping watch over your brother." Father says, smiling.

I smile softly and grab a knife to put around my leg just in case. I decided to wear a deerskin dress. I don't wear my 'shoes' until it gets colder and the ground hurts my feet.

"Where are we going?" Lee asks.

I help him on my white and grey horse.

"To town." I say.

"Town?" Lee bounces up and down excitedly.

I get up behind him.

"Yes, brother." I smile widely, excited to go to a new place.

We arrive to the noisy town.
A smell drove around my nose and made me cringe. That was the smell of alcohol. I hate that smell. I kind of want to taste it.
Does it taste like water maybe?

"Anika? Can we buy something like those people do?" Lee's bright brown eyes scanned the area.

"Father gave me a few of that paper stuff. Yes let's buy something." I stop Spirit near a general store and hop off.

"Help, please?" Lee holds his dark skinned arms towards me and has the look of those little creatures.
Dogs. But smaller ones.

"Here." I reach up and grab him and set him down.

"Love you." I kiss his dark hair.

He takes my hand in his and walks into the store excitedly.

"Hel-... oh." The keeper stops short and looks at me.

"Good morning, sir." I smile, used to these interactions.

Lee quickly walks over to a small shelf with a container. A clear container. I believe it's called glass.

"Would you like one, Lee?" I ask in our language.

"Yes, Anika. This one." Lee answers.

"What are these?" I ask the keeper.

"Sweets. Candy. It's 65¢ for a bag." He says.

"Yes!" Lee smiles.