Chapter 14. A New Pet.

I kept catching Charles' eye as we ate breakfast.
His dark chocolate eyes sparkled with love and adoration.

I snapped out of my stare as Lee yanked on my deerskin dress.

"Wh-what?" I shook his small grubby hand off me. Instead of using his spoon to eat, he used his hands.

"Don't you think it's time I get a horse, Anika?" Lee asked.

I rolled my eyes.

"Mother and Father never let you get a horse as far as I'm concerned. They cost cash money. We don't have a whole lot to go wasting on a horse you'll only get into trouble with." I said, looking at Lee's dark eyes.

Lee put his metal plate down and crossed his arms. Pouting.

"Don't pout." I hissed, hoping no one would think his bad behavior is my fault. It was his parent's fault!
...
Yeah. It was their fault.

"But I want one!" Lee pleaded.

"Ya just wan'ta pet don't'cha?" Another voice said.

Lee smiled widely at whoever at said that. I realized it was Sean.

"Yup!" Lee said.

I poke his rib.

"Yes sir!" Lee added.

"Well, how 'bout t'is? Me and you will go inta' town and see what it has'ta offer.  If it's a'right with your beautiful sista here o'course." Sean finished.

I think he thought I was Lee's Mom but was using the 'oh you must be the sister' thing. I hear men use it a lot at the saloon. Never works.

"Anika, can I go with him? Please?" Lee pleaded.

"Oh she really is your sista." Sean said, surprised.

"Yes. Fine. Just be back soon. Don't you dare wander out of Sean's sight!" I ordered.

Lee nodded and instantly got up. He took Sean's hand and let him guide him to his horse.

I shook my head.

He bothers me until I agree and then of course that guy needs-

"Anne."

"Hi, Robin." I smile at the voice.

"I was gonna go huntin'.  Care to tag along?" Robin asked.

"I would love to!" I set my plate down and jumped up, excited.

Robin smiled brightly and we walked to our horses.

Before Robin could get on her horse, Ace, her man called her name.

"Whaaat?" She groaned.

"Where are ya goin'?" Arthur asked.

"Hunting! I'll be back later, you can wait."

I noticed Robin winked at the end of her sentence.
Arthur shook his head and walked back into camp, mumbling.

---

Me and Robin rode out on the plains for awhile until we stopped at a small opening with some bushes.

"We'll set up here. I got some bait to lure this fucker out." Robin mused, getting of her horse.

I hopped off of Spirit and followed Robin. She placed a piece of meat wrapped up in cornbread on a small dusty hill.

"So what are we hunting, exactly?" I asked, following her back to the small bushes where our horses stood.