Chapter Twelve

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WELCOME TO THE FINALS!" You took a deep breath as you donned your helmet in the preparation room. Your cloak wrapped around your shoulders and billowed behind you, hiding Crocea Mors. Char sat on top of it, keeping the cloak from moving around too much. "BOTH OF THE FINAL CONTESTANTS ARE FROM BEACON ACADEMY, VALE!" A few boos rolled over the unseen crowd as you laced your black combat boots. You pulled a pair of matching fingerless gloves over your hands. (F/C) and black was your color scheme for the tournament. (F/C) hood and helmet, black gloves and boots. "A FIRST YEAR AT BEACON (Y/N) NO LAST NAME IS THE LEADER OF TEAM AAGD AND ONE OF THE BEST HUNTSMEN IN TRAINING WE'VE HAD THE PRIVILEGE OF SEEING!"

  That's my cue, you thought as you entered the stadium, making your way to the center platform. Your fans roared as you drew Chill, trailing the tip of the blade on the ground.

  "BUT, CAN THIS UNDERDOG BEAT THE BEST HUNTRESS BEACON HAS TO OFFER? LEADER OF TEAM JNGL SHE'S GOT HIGHER SCORES THAN ANY STUDENT TO EVER GRADUATE THAT PRESTIGIOUS ACADEMY! THE ONE, THE ONLY, JOAN ARC!" You dropped Chill.

  No. It's coincidence, or he's mistaken. Something's wrong, you thought. You began to hyperventilate as the arena behind you spun. We would have met, right? She goes to beacon, there's no way... you began to count off the number of Seniors you knew, only to come up empty. Then, you saw her. Decked in blue and gold with a sapphire crown keeping her hair in place she entered with a leaf tipped lance in one hand, jet engine and all, and the other waving to the crowd. When she reached the center, she stopped walking, only to float a foot off the ground.

  "It's a pleasure to be fighting you, bro!" Joan smiled sweetly.

  Does she know? Does she just use bro casually? Did she recognize crocea mors in my last fight? Questions swam through your head.

  "Although, if it's not too much to ask, could you remove your helmet?" The arena behind you spun to a mountain, thunder rumbling near its peak. "I want to look upon the face of my opponent."

  No, she suspects but she doesn't know. She's trying to put me on edge, trick me into giving away something, You thought. You chose to remain silent, instead slamming your right foot into the hilt of Chill, popping the blade into the air and grabbing it with your main hand before swiping at the emptiness in front of you. The crowd cheered at the display. Think, (Y/N)! Did she ever tell you what her semblance is? She can float, so weightlessness? It explains why she would need a jet engine on her lance. The arena behind joan spun into a savannah, dry grass and a single watering hole.

  "Five!" the crowd chanted as the clock ticked down.

  I can take her. She's older than me but that doesn't make her better.

  "Four!"

  I have to get inside her swing, maybe pin her to the ground with my weight.

  "Three!"

  That's it, get inside her swing.

  "Two!"

  How will she fare without a weapon? Can I disarm her?

  "One!" Joan rushed you immediately, blitzing faster than you had ever seen anything move in your life. Her lance dug deep into your aura, draining twenty percent with the first hit. You swiped with Chill to no avail. She turned her engine around immediately, falling back out of your reach.

  "I would have expected better from a fellow Beacon student, but you are just a first year!" Joan taunted as she twirled her lance. You remained silent once more. You couldn't dodge attacks that fast. You needed something between you and her. The second she turned her engine around for her next attack you drew Char, turning side face so as to hide your entire body behind the blade. Joan blitzed again, driving her lance's tip into Char and using all that momentum to pass directly over your head, delivering a light kick as she passed behind you. You swung Char around, hoping to catch her with the tip but she was already out of range.