Chapter Thirty Five

"Sir?" One of Torchwick's men asked him as he stared down at the warehouse he had demolished, "The police found the body to confirm his death, what are we still doing here?" Torchwick said nothing as he stared down at the scene below him. The body was too small. It was no doubt the recruit he had used as bait. Cinder's little problem was still out there, and the day she found out would be his last day on Remnant.

   "Nothing," Torchwick said as he turned around, "Pack up, we're done here."

***

   You chewed on a pencil as you walked Beacon's empty corridors. It was two in the morning. Every soul in the building was either asleep or studying. Most likely the former, but you had poured over tons of books and research instead of sleeping many a time yourself during your days here. Although, you rarely did so alone. Your thoughts slowly drifted to Glen, and your old team. It was painful to think of them, but thinking about what Pyrrha had said to you hurt more,

   "He needs you to stop him from becoming you!" The way she had said it made your stomach churn. Like you were something to be reviled. Is that how she viewed you? Is that how they all viewed you? Alone. A person with no one to rely on. You opened your flask and dumped the burning liquid down your throat. Your thoughts slowly turned to Cinder and you flicked open your scroll. You stared at the screen for a while before flicking it closed. It was 2 a.m. She didn't want to be bothered. You flicked the screen back open. But you needed to know if you were really alone. If there was no one who cared about you. You flicked the screen closed again. Perhaps it was best your relationship stayed casual. Your scroll buzzed. It was Cinder. She was also awake at two in the morning, thinking about you. The scroll buzzed again. You hovered your finger over the answer button before Cinder hung up, letting the scroll go dark. You placed the scroll back in your pocket and took another step forward, before pulling it back out and dialing Cinder, making your way to the school's courtyard. And to both your surprise, she picked up.

   "Hey sorry, I shouldn't have called you this late," you started.

   "No, no. I'm the one who should be apologizing. I called you first," Cinder responded.

   "Maybe," you said as you slumped down by the fountain, "but can I ask you something?"

   "No, you're not being too clingy," Cinder answered.

   "Am I a bad person?" You clarified. A long pause filled the air for a while before Cinder finally responded,

   "Are you drunk?"

   "A little," you muttered. Cinder let out a sigh at your response.

   "I suppose I can share a little bit of my worldview with you if it gives you peace of mind," Cinder started before taking a deep breath, "There aren't good and bad people. There's just people with power, and people without. And the people without power would do just as much harm if the roles were reversed.

   "Is it wrong to want someone to not have power? To keep them alive?" You asked.

   "It's not wrong, but it's counterintuitive. The powerless always lose everything, in the end."

   "Is that... from experience?" You asked.

   "It's a lifestyle. A refusal to starve," Cinder replied.

   "Thanks, Cinder," You said, "You've given me a lot to think about."

   "My pleasure. And I look forward to seeing you again," Cinder said, the words almost seeming difficult to pronounce, "I... miss you."