Scene 13-16 - A Battle of Bargains

FADE IN:

INT. THE OBRINNE HOUSE - DAY

An R-2 unit rolls into the middle of the room facing BEN, who is sitting on the sofa in the Obrinne house. EDUS breathes in and out slowly as he slides the hologram chip into the R-2 unit. EDUS presses something on the side of the droid and then lets out a breath of air.

VERSITA enters the room and stands by the doorway watching her father with a worried expression on her face.

EDUS:

There it is.

There is some blue fuzz and the hologram begins to play.

TARTH:

I have good news. Anchorhead is unprotected. It will be the perfect place to start.

BEN concentrates setting his elbow on one knee and resting his chin on his fist. EDUS watches the hologram with a hopeful expression hoping either himself or BEN will be able to decipher what he and DRALIN could not at first.

TARTH:

Send your fleet ahead of you. [FUZZ] Give them specific orders, my young apprentice. The attack must not proceed beyond Anchorhead. [FUZZ] We must approach this wisely.

BEN starts to understand what this means and he lifts his head, dropping his fist into his lap.

TARTH:

Meet me on Tatooine. [REALLY FUZZY] I've found him.

The hologram fuzzes over and the blue light disappears. EDUS looks at BEN, who is now staring at the ground as if ashamed.

EDUS:

Do you - know what he was talking about.

BEN:

I cannot tell you which fleet he is with. I only know what they're symbol is. [PAUSE] But I do know who he says he's looking for, as I told you before.

EDUS:

Who?

BEN:

Me.

EDUS:

You!

BEN:

I'm an enemy of the empire.

VERSITA is already knows this so she doesn't look too surprised, but she does look curious.

BEN glances at VERSITA.

VERSITA:

What happened?

BEN: [LOOKS DOWN]

I killed one of their most lethal instruments, and ever since I have been on the top of their list of targets.

BEN faces EDUS again.

BEN:

I believe whichever fleet the master jedi in this hologram is talking about, is either part of, or allied with the empire. Either way, they are guaranteed a powerful fleet.

EDUS:

So in a sense we don't need to know which fleet.

BEN:

We don't know. So we avoid any fleet that crosses this planet and we don't trust anyone. [PAUSE] And we build our own alliances, so we can fight them when they come. The fleet we're looking for will destroy everything and everyone on this planet to kill me and I don't want everyone to suffer for it.