Scene 17-20 - The True Story / The Jedi Strike Again

FADE IN:

EXT. OBRINNE HOME - DAY

BEN, EDUS and VERSITA stop their barc speeders abruptly when they arrive at EDUS's yard of transports. They dismount hastily.

EDUS:

Get in the ship. [LOOKS AT VERSITA] Versita; get us away from here.

BEN and VERSITA board the broken down CR90 Corvette as EDUS pushes the barc speeders behind the house into a sheltered area filled with more mechanical transports.

INT. CR90 Corvette - DAY

VERSITA sits in the pilot seat and starts pulling and pushing things in front of her.

VERSITA:

I've always liked flying.

BEN clasps a hand around the top of her chair, as EDUS can be seen running into the spaceship from out the window.

BEN: [SARCASTICALLY]

Can't say I feel the same.

Once EDUS gets inside, VERSITA pushes and pulls a couple more things and EDUS stands beside BEN.

EDUS:

Fly east! I know a place we can land where they won't find us.

VERSITA starts the ship. They lift off the ground and fly east.

BEN:

Oh, they'll find us. [SPEAKING MORE TO HIMSELF AS HE DUCKS TO SEE SOMETHING OUT THE WINDOW] We'll just be temporarily out of reach.

FADE IN:

EXT. DESERTED AREA - NIGHT

The CR90 Corvette lands gradually in a deserted area wedged in a canyon. BEN is sitting alone rather close to the fire, while EDUS is standing quite a ways away looking through a pair of binoculars. Then he sits down and plays with a broken spaceship part.

VERSITA is watching BEN when she decides to walk toward him and sit beside him by the fire. Neither look at the other.

BEN:

You don't talk about your mother.

VERSITA: [SEEMING OPTIMISTIC]

She died when I was young. It left a scar on me and my father, but after lots of time and trial ... we've gotten through.

BEN:

I am sorry. I suppose I've gotten crustier than I thought.

VERSITA: [SHE LAUGHS SORT OF LIKE A HUM BEFORE BEGINNING]

I was young. [PAUSE TO LOOK AT HIM] [SADLY BUT OPTIMISTICALLY] I can only remember her smile.

BEN looks back to the fire, watching the flames as they flicker up and down, orange sparks emanating from them.

VERSITA:

You do this often? Stare at the flames? [THERE IS A TENSION FILLED PAUSE] More than you'd like to, I'm guessing.

BEN:

[HE NODS MAKING A HUMMING NOISE THAT MAKES IT CLEAR HE IS TRYING TO AVOID CONVERSATION.]

VERSITA:

You're a mystery, Ben. You're closed off.

She pauses to look at the fire, then she turns back to BEN who still won't look at her.

VERSITA:

Why?

BEN doesn't answer for a moment.