five

"So you've not invited John?" Freddie asked, making me glance at him in my mirror. He was sat on my bed, fixing his hair in a compact mirror he'd brought with him. The two of us were headed out to a house party that night. Well, the three of us, but Brian was making his own way there. Freddie's parents wouldn't let him go if they knew where it was he was actually going, so instead he was 'staying the night at mine'. My mum had always been pretty laid back about parties and things, so long as I stayed out of too much trouble.

I shook my head, looking back in the mirror as I applied my eyeliner. "I didn't think he'd say yes.. He, uh, he wouldn't know many people.. And he's not very sociable," I mumbled, trying to focus on getting the perfect line to make my blue eyes pop. It wasn't like I was planning on going out on the pull tonight, but I always need to look my best. And if someone did fall for me, I would one hundred percent take them to bed, or at least snog in a corner for a bit. Not that I was well known for being a slut, but I had quite the reputation.

"Ask him. He'd enjoy himself. The worst that will happen is he'll say no," Freddie prompted, putting the mirror down and looking over at me. I turned in my seat to face him.

"Do my eyes look okay?" He nodded, causing a smile to form on my lips. "Of course they do. Well, uh. I'll ring him." I murmured, looking back in the mirror and adjusting my hair before taking my notepad from the desk and hurrying down the stairs to the phone in the living room. His number was written on the inside cover of my notebook, with 'John :-)' written next to it. I smiled to myself as I dialled the number, feeling a strange sort of buzz at the thought of ringing him.

The other end picked up after a few minutes and a female voice came down the line.

"Hello?"

"Um, hi, Mrs Deacon. Is John home? It's Roger," I spoke, suddenly feeling nervous about asking him to come out with us. It was stupid, he probably wouldn't even say yes. I heard her shout John from what sounded like a few steps away from the phone before she came back to talk in my ear.

"He's just coming, give it a second, Roger."

My heartbeat was thudding in my ears as I waited to hear his voice. I could feel the panic rising from my stomach. These were nerves I'd never felt before, for a reason I couldn't quite figure out.

"Hi, Roger," John squeaked, the noise startling me after what seemed like an eternity of silence.

"Hey, John.. Are you free tonight? D'you fancy coming to a party with us?" I asked. I had to get it out fast, or it wouldn't happen at all. I'd never, ever felt nervous on the phone before. Where had this freak out come from?

"Uh, um... I guess... I don't think I'd be able to come home, though.." He lowered his voice as he spoke, his mum clearly not too far away.

"Don't worry about it, you can stay at mine. My mum won't mind. Tell your mum you're staying at mine tonight, don't mention the party. Can you get here soon?" I asked, my words flying from my mouth at a million miles an hour and the receiver shaking in my hand.

"Okay, yeah. I should be able to. I'll ring you if I can't, okay?" He said, and I nodded to myself with a wide grin, speaking again upon hearing a 'you know he can't see you, right?' From behind me.

"Yeah, that sounds good. I'll see you soon?"

"See you soon, Rog."

I put the phone back on the hook and turned around, rushing towards the stairs. Freddie was stood at the bottom of them and laughed as I pushed past him in my haste.

"And where are you running to?" He asked, following me back to my bedroom.

"Gotta do my hair. And this shirt is wrinkled, I need to change it," I murmured, looking in my mirror with a sigh. The shirt was a state. I pulled it off and dropped it on the floor, going to my wardrobe and pulling out a blue shirt that John had mentioned liking.