fourteen

a/n double update cause the last chapter was just a filler and i feel like you guys deserve some meat

"Don't worry about me. Have some fun!"

Those were the exact words John said to me at the beginning of the party. We'd been there around half an hour, and I'd already had my first beer but wasn't sure about having another. It was only John's second party, and part of me wanted to go slow so I could look after him again.

"I'll be fine, Rog. I'm a big boy, I can take care of myself. I swear. You deserve to let your hair down," He said, reaching up to touch my hair as he spoke. It was getting longer. I was used to keeping it quite neat, but I'd decided to try growing it out and was already starting to prefer it.

"Fine, fine. Come find me if you need me, okay?" I said, gently resting my hand on his shoulder. He nodded, laughing softly.

"Of course I will. Now, shut up and stop worrying. You're at a party, you're meant to be enjoying yourself." He told me, grinning and gently pushing me away. "I love you."

"I love you more, Johnny." I was gone before he could protest, making a beeline to the kitchen counter, which was covered in drinks. I grabbed myself another beer just to tide me over, deciding to wait a little longer before hitting the hard stuff.

That beer was gone in no time, and soon I was back for more. This time I wasn't alone, Freddie had joined me and we did two shots each, both giggling like schoolgirls once we'd emptied our glasses for the second time. I was ready for a third, but he put the bottle away.

"Come on, it's no fun getting shitfaced straight away. Come dance with me!" He grinned, just giving me a chance to get myself yet another beer before following him out to the living room, which was positively bursting at the seams. I couldn't see John anywhere, nor Brian, but I'd decided not to worry. I was taking his advice and letting myself loose. Besides, it was hardly like he needed a babysitter.

Freddie dragged me into the middle of the crowd, laughing the whole way. Neither of us were particularly good dancers sober, so drunk dancing was a whole new level of messy. Still, it didn't stop us from flinging our bodies around in some sort of rhythmic fashion, as most of the other drunks around us were doing. It was a lot of fun, even though my body was still a little achy after my... Altercation with John's bullies.

They'd not even looked in his direction since. John got excluded for a couple of days for ditching school (which seems a little counterproductive, but what do I know?) Aside from that, nothing much eventful happened. Things seemed to be getting back on the right track, at long last.

Eventually I managed to wriggle my way out of the crowd to dump my empty bottle, and pick up another drink. My plan was to be wankered by eleven, and I was well on the way.

However, someone grabbed my arm on my way back to Freddie. I turned to see a girl standing there, a girl I recognised. I couldn't put a name to the face, nor a place we'd met in the past, but I was certain I knew her from somewhere.

John

Brian helped me through the bustling crowd towards the back door, me basically using him as a meat shield to separate the bodies and clear a path for me to walk through. Eventually, we made it outside and I sat on the ground, my back against the wall of the house.

"Thanks, Bri.. I'm not sure what happened in there," I murmured, rubbing my face. "I think it's just the heat."

"Have you had much to drink?" He asked, pausing for a second before adding: "Anything, not just alcohol." I shook my head.

"I had a beer earlier, just as we got here. I've not drunk anything else, though," I murmured, rubbing my eyes. "Maybe that's it..." It was almost definitely dehydration making me feel faint. I'd started to feel very light-headed when we were stood inside, which was why Brian had dragged me out into the fresh air.

"I'll go get you some water. Stay here," He told me, firmly. I nodded, which was enough confirmation for him to head back inside to go find me a drink.

Whilst he'd told me not to move, he'd also been gone a long time. Sitting in the cool night air had cleared my head, enough for me to feel able to go looking for Brian. He'd probably got talking to someone and completely forgot. I didn't mind, I probably would have done the same thing.

Slowly, in case I was still dizzy, I pulled myself to my feet. Once I was up I took a moment just to stand still and breathe, psyching myself up to push through the busy crowd that I knew awaited me. It only took me a minute, and I'd opened the door and begun to squeeze my way past people, just hoping I was going in the right direction.

Something caught my eye on my way to the kitchen. A flash of blond to my right. Knowing it could be anybody, I decided to just check if it was who I hoped it would be. I'd not seen Roger all night, and although I'd told him to have fun with his friends, I kind of missed him.

The sight that greeted me was not how I'd intended him to interpret the words 'have fun.'

There he stood, my boyfriend, sucking a girl's face off. My whole body froze in place, and suddenly the dizziness started coming back. Whether it was the hot room or the display of affection in front of me, I couldn't tell you, but I felt as if I was going to be sick.

"John! There you are!" I heard a voice call from behind me. I recognised it as Brian's, but couldn't force myself to turn and look at him. Instead I just kept watching, tears welling in my eyes. "John? John, are y- Shit. John, go outside," He told me, and I nodded, dragging my eyes away as Brian stormed over to Roger. I didn't have to see it to figure out what happened, the loud sound of skin hitting skin echoed around my ears, so vividly that I could almost feel the burning handprint on my own face.

Shoving my way forcefully back through the crowd, I made it to the back door and sat where I had been before, slumped against the back wall of the house. Roger was dragged out of the house just seconds behind me, and thrown forcefully towards the grass. He stumbled and fell on his bum, and couldn't stop laughing at the totally hilarious action. What a dick.

"Brian!" He laughed, laying back on the grass for a second before sitting up. A huge smile appeared on his face when he noticed me, and it would have made my heart leap, had I not just witnessed what I had. "Hi, baby. Having fun?"

"Don't call me that. And not as much as you, apparently. Brian, I want to go home."