Chapter 1

[not proof read, please ignore mistakes]

Chapter 1

"You never know Cher, it could be fun," Veronica shrugged, tossing her cheer pom-poms onto the dusty ground. She slumped down onto the bench in the dugout and leaned her head back against the plastic panels, letting out a sigh as she turned her head ever so slightly to look at her teammate, Cheryl. Using the back of her thin wrist, she wiped away the beads of sweat that had formed along her forehead during their cheer practice in the scorching hot summer heat.

"I've told you before, parties aren't really my thing," Cheryl admitted for what seemed like the fiftieth time today, as she gazed down at her fingers that held a water bottle on her lap. Veronica had always been known as the queen of parties, she hadn't missed one in her whole two years of college. This meant she often dragged Cheryl along with her, despite the redhead's plead to stay at their dorm.

"But this isn't just anyone's party," Veronica expressed, sitting up, "This is Archie Andrew's party. You know? He's on the football team."

"Yes, I know who he is," Cheryl laughed slightly, shaking her head before furrowing her eyebrows into a confused look. "What's so important about Archie?"

"Apart from the fact he's like really popular?" Veronica started to question, which Cheryl internally rolled her eyes to in return, "Well, his dad owns all the sports clubs on campus, and i'm tryna get a scholarship," She continued, before she bent down and reached for her own water bottle that sat beside her feet. She took a sip and she glanced back at Cheryl waiting for a reply.

"You never have any good intentions, do you V? You should date someone because of who they are, not because of what you can gain from the people around them," Cheryl said simply, spraying a bit of water onto the rubble beneath them.

Veronica laughed back, "What do you know about relationships? It's not like you've ever had a boyfriend," She shrugged, "Besides, I heard he's a really nice guy too."

Cheryl sat there for a second or two. Veronica was right, she had never actually had a real boyfriend before. Sure, she had hooked up with a few guys here and there to keep up her straight image and to also keep herself entertained, but who didn't in college? Despite that though, Cheryl had never really felt any sort of emotional connection with anyone, but she was certain the right person just hadn't come along yet.

"Well, it sounds like a pretty good party," Cheryl sighed, standing up and flattening out the bottom of her cheer uniform with her hand, before heading to the small, silver gate of the dugout, "But you can count me out of this one."

"Cher, wait," Veronica huffed as she stood up from the bench, causing Cheryl to glance relentlessly behind herself. Her pale fingers still remained on the latch of the gate as her wavy red hair shifted over to one shoulder, "I know a Football player that'll will be at the party who has their eye on you," Veronica finished.

The words that came from Veronica's lips shocked Cheryl slightly. The thought of someone truly liking her never crossed her mind, although, she never really put it past herself. She was part of the cheerleading team after all, it was inevitable to catch at least someone's eye but she never thought it would be one the Football players.

"Really? Who?" Cheryl questioned, turning around fully to face Veronica again, who's smile turned into a smug grin.

"Reggie Mantle," Veronica said modestly, unable to hide her smirk any longer.

"As in captain of the Football team Reggie Mantle?" Cheryl asked, confused to if she and her friend had the same person in mind.