Unfinished

Childhood Memory- 14 year old Lance)

Lance watched as his mother folded clothes in her neat and small way. The shirts had to become a perfect square by the time she was done and the pants the same way. Everyone was home today, it was a saturday so the kids didn't have school. But Veronica wasn't at her friend's as usual and the twins who were 8 now weren't at soccer practice. Now that there were two more kids in the house, Rachel who was 4 now and Maria who was 2, it was much more crowded. The girls had their own minds and wanted their way like the twins did when they were younger. None of the adults who worked usually on the weekend were out either, like Kevin and Melissa. They instead were sleeping in, it was pretty late in the morning and Lance could already tell something was up. The people who were up were slinking around, well Veronica and Rosa. They just sat around talking looking nervous. The younger kids, were just sitting around. They didn't seem to know what was going on either.

Victor and Marco, were watching some show on the t.v and looked up when Lance walked in. "Lance, what is going on? Why is Mama and Roni being secretive?" Victor asked. Marco looked at him curiously waiting for an answer. Lance shrugged.

"I don't actually know...where are the girls?"

"In Roni's room playing with Rachel's dolls." Victor said turning back to the screen. Lance nodded. There was an unusual vibe in the air, surreal, mysterious..

Victor was right, the young girls were playing with Rachel's growing display of Barbie dolls. "Lance!" she called when he entered the room.

He smiled. "Hey Rachel. How are you and Maria?" he asked sitting down next to them.

"I'm fine. Maria is sleepy though." rachel said looking at Maria. The two year old sat with her fist in her mouth, saliva dripping onto her pale pink shirt. Her eyelids drooped but she smiled and giggled at Lance. She tried to reach for him with chubby hands, but toppled over still giggling. Lance reached for her and sat her on his lap, stroking her curly hair to her shoulders. Rachel watched, and crossed her arms, pouting.

"Come here Rachel." Lance said shifting. He held Maria on his left side, as she drifted to sleep her head on his shoulder. He held Rachel on his right side, she was braiding the hair of a doll. Lance sat there, he was content but he still felt like there was something off.

"Look Lance, Emery has her hair braided so she can go to the mall with Sarah!" Rachel exclaimed showing Lance a doll with a sloppy braid down her back that stuck out at a weird angle.

"Come on Sarah! Emery is ready to go." Rachel said getting off Lance's lap to grab another doll. She started having them walk towards each other. A faint sweet smell wafted up the stairs to Lance's nose. His stomach growled. "Be right back Rachel." he said getting up. Rachel didn't even notice as he walked out.

Lance headed downstairs where he saw Rosa and Veronica in the kitchen cooking, they were in a state of disarray and impatience. Rosa turned when Lance walked in. "Ah- Lance! We are making a breakfast, go wake your Papa and Abuela and get the young ones." she said kissing him quickly on the cheek before passing him by.

He rushed off, confused. Usually, everyone ate when they could, a pop tart or a bowl or cereal. They didn't usually eat together. Lance went to the living room and told the twins to get ready for breakfast. Victor rushed off to the bathroom but Marco just sat there. Lance sat next to him.

"You okay?" he asked quietly. Marco nodded. But when he looked up, there was a faraway look in his eyes. Lance headed to get Rachel.

"But they haven't gone to the mall yet!" she complained.

"Do Emery and Sarah like pancakes?" Lance asked scooping up sleeping Maria.

"I like pancakes!" Rachel exclaimed grinning. "Come on girls!" she said grabbing her dolls and rushing out. Lance cut the light off and headed down the hall.