Introduction

This story is written for Open Novella 2019.

The prompt which inspired me was the seventh prompt for Suspense called Winter Sun. The prompt is, "to save their beloved, an anti-hero becomes the stealer of souls of the rich and corrupt – a kind of Robin Hood of life energy. Though desperate and forlorn, the anti-hero's beloved revolves their soul from sickness, but with the burden of the stolen souls' corrupt wickedness."

The story is also a fanfic Voltron: Legendary Defenders (VLD) and involves the characters from the two alternative universes interacting with each other. For those who don't know the Voltron fandom the series is of the space opera genre. Voltron is a flying robot comprised of five robot lions which combine. Allura is an alien princess who is humanoid in the way she looks.

The fate of Allura in VLD in the series finale left many disappointed. Whereas the original Allura was fair skinned this princess was a princess of color, but effectively they killed off a character in a children's show which girls of color admired. As such there are quite a few fixfic projects going on which either bring her back to life or have a different ending for the final season entirely.

In the addition, while some feel her relationship with Lance was a healthy one I am with the ones who feel the relationship was one-sides and toxic. For example, Allura was upset because she originally thought she and Coran were the last Alteans. Later they find out there were others who were alive, but they were being used for experiments and manipulated. Lance made her feel guilty and apologize for the way she felt about the circumstances her race found themselves in by pointing out the way she felt hurt him emotionally.

The first chapter opens up with Lance being possessive of Allura because he was possessive of her in the canon material to the point of acting like she was a prize to win. The story involves character death because of the prompt and because the story is of the horror genre. The story analyzes the issues regarding Lance and Allura's relationship but delves into some of Lance's inner demons he doesn't realize are there.

Other prompts which have ended up worked into the story in some variation or another
- Fantastical 3 – Legendary Sword – This pretty much is what happens to Lance but with a few minor differences.
- General 2: Against an Obstacle – Lance, unlike the other characters from VLD, didn't grow as an individual. More specifically he's a bit of growing up to do as well as self-realization and that is one of the goals with the story.

Word Count

Chapter 1 - 1,446
Chapter 2 - 2,434
Chapter 3 – 3,781
Chapter 4 – 5,222
Chapter 5 – 6,525
Chapter 6 – 7,613
Chapter 7 - 8,658
Chapter 8 - 9,717
Chapter 9 - 10,718
Chapter 10 - 11,733
Chapter 11 - 12,738
Chapter 12 - 13,761
Chapter 13 - 15,068
Chapter 14 - 16,197
Chapter 15 - 17,117
Chapter 16 - 18,108
Chapter 17 - 19,089
Chapter 18 - 20,095
Chapter 19 - 21,058
Chapter 20 - 22,050
Chapter 21 - 23,253
Chapter 22 - 24,543

Image for Cover Art

https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-pink-flowers-on-pink-textile-1345813/