Broken Matches

She would never have had the chance to experience the Juniberry if it weren't for Allura.

In fact, Romelle would never have had the chance to experience the homeworld of her people if it weren't for the fact Allura sacrificed herself. The world was honestly amazing, far more than she dreamed of, but some of the knowledge regarding the homeworld became lost with time. As such it seemed at first that Allura's sacrifice wasn't in vain, yet Romelle didn't stop and think why this was important to her.

Except, Romelle quickly learned Allura's sacrifice didn't fix anything. The Altean people who were left were still under the spell of Lotor and Honerva's influence, but they didn't seem to care like the people of Earth about the princess who sacrificed herself. Some even credited Lotor for saving them despite the fact he was, in fact, part of the reason they ended up in the situation, but some still wanted to go to war with Earth.

Allura in effect gave up her happiness for nothing, but the very fact any of them thought such a sacrifice could fix the universe now seemed delusional, yet Coran said something along that effect. "I'd give up our entire home planet just to have the princess back again. After all, we can make a home anywhere, but you can't make a home without the people you care most for. It leaves a gaping hole that can't be filled."

How could any of the people understand what a wonderful person Allura was in comparison to Lotor and Honerva when she wasn't there, and they simply had the enemy's word of mouth. Starting over would still be difficult, but not anywhere near as difficult as it was now. In fact, the only person who seemed to be moving forward was in fact, Lance. "I'm going to start a Juniberry farm with my family in honor of Allura."

"Why couldn't the two of you be happy together?" Romelle let the water from the sink wash over her hands. "I mean, while it is true that you can be together now, how can it be a happy together when almost all of the other paladins are dead?"

Romelle froze while the water continued running over her hands. Appearing behind her was Allura, but an Allura draped in black. The anger in her eyes made a chill run down Romelle's spine. She turned around and looked over her shoulder in surprise but saw nobody there. A sigh of relief escaped her lips and she turned back. A strangled cry left her throat when she saw Allura standing on the side she'd not turned towards.

She then felt Allura's hand grab the back of her head and with great force, her face was shoved into the mirror. The mirror of course broke and Romelle felt the glass cut into her face as the water continued running. While none of the glass pierced an eye, she still found herself blinded by the blood running down from a gash above her eye. She let out a strangled cry. "Allura, why..."

"You made me date Lance." Allura's hand gripped the back of Romelle's hair tightly and yanked her back painfully.

"I didn't! I..."

"You didn't tell me it was a date until after I agreed."

Some of the glass fell into the sink making it so the water started backing up. Romelle found herself shoved face first into the water. She tried holding her breath hoping Allura would let her up, but in the back of her mind, she knew they'd not told Allura the visit to Lance's family was a date until after she agreed. A few air bubbles came out of Romelle's mouth as Allura let her head up. "Why are you doing this? We're friends, but you liked Lance so what is the big deal?"

"What friend doesn't realize they don't like a guy?" Allura shoved Romelle's face down again, but Romelle found herself struggling, as she finally realized something was wrong; Allura was definitely not acting like herself, and yet she could do nothing except squirm as if some force was preventing her from using her Altean strength. "Seriously, why would I like a guy who constantly annoys me like Lance does?"

Romelle felt her head let up and she gasped out. "At least he's better than Lotor."

Again, her head went down. "So I'm supposed to settle for a guy who constantly flirts with anything with the potential to pop out babies with him, but who sees me as an object rather than a person. I'm not just a princess. I'm not some doll for you to dress up and play with."

"Allura..."

"Don't you dare say my name." Romelle's head dunked under the water again. This time she didn't struggle. There seemed no point as Allura was completely in control of the situation. It was then that Romelle realized Allura wasn't going to let her up. In fact, Allura said her piece and Romelle found herself running through everything said.

She didn't let Allura know it was a date until after she convinced Allura to go because eating with Lance's family would prove relaxing after everything that happened. She then, after Allura couldn't back out easily, told her that it was, in fact, a date, but she did, in fact, enjoy dressing Allura up. Of course, she told Allura that it would be impolite to go back on the invite as well.

Or was it?

Romelle honestly didn't know enough about dating to say anything. She'd found herself far more concerned with taking care of her brother and then finding him and what happened to him that she never had the time to think about dating herself. A sob escaped into the now bloody pool of water which was starting to overflow onto the floor and soak her boots.

She was going to die here.

She was going to die here and never, ever go on a date.

That would be her last regret.