A Blade for Lance

The sound of a rather annoying alarm woke Lance from his slumber. A groan escaped his lips when he remembered he forgot his sleep mask and headphones. He pressed his face into the pillow hoping the alarm might stop, but instead the sound got louder until he finally hit the alarm. Despite the sound ending, Lance found himself incapable of falling asleep again.

Lance sat up and pinched the bridge of his nose. The memory of Keith finding Allura instead of him remained raw in his mind. "Why? Why him instead of me Allura?"

He stood up and headed to the door of his quarters. The door swished open, and yet the rush of air on his face didn't revitalize him. He rubbed his bright blue eyes and continued walking towards the infirmary not caring what he looked like; his normal beauty routine was forgotten in favor of seeing Allura, but hoping Keith wasn't anywhere near her.

The halls near the infirmary were empty as Lance arrived, but he walked into the place without hesitating. Shiro and Keith weren't there, but Coran and Romelle were. Lance saw with one glance how worried the two were. "How's Allura doing?"

Coran didn't look up. "Allura is suffering from a soul sickness."

"A soul sickness?" Lance's eyes widened slightly. "What is soul sickness?"

"It's an illness Alteans get." Romelle looked tired. "Apparently the body falls ill because the soul has fallen ill."

"Why is Allura's soul ill?" He felt his voice strain.

"We don't know." Coran continued looking at the princess.

"Well, what's the cure?"

Coran turned towards him angrily. "How can we know how to cure her soul when we don't know what the cause is?"

Lance didn't like the tone the royal advisor used and snapped back. "Well, sorry for being far more concerned about her than you are! It's not my fault you don't know what the cure is let alone why her soul is sick! It's not my fault at all!"

He stormed out of the room and headed towards the galley where he knew he would find Hunk. Lance wasn't surprised when he found Hunk working on the next meal everyone would partake in. Pidge and Keith sat nearby keeping the former yellow paladin company, yet neither of them said anything. Lance stormed over. "I can't believe him!"

"Who?" Keith asked.

"Coran! He says they don't know what the cure for Allura's soul sickness is! I mean..."

Pidge let out a sigh. "Coran told us we needed to find out why she was sick before..."

"He did?" Keith's eyes widened slightly. "When?"

"Anyways..." Pidge ignored Keith. "I'm surprised he said he didn't know what the source of the soul sickness is when he told us he had an idea."

"I seriously don't remember any of this." Keith let out a sigh and leaned on his arm. "Is anybody else bothered by this?"

"Shut up Keith." Lance snapped. In the past, Keith would allow such actions to goad him into a reaction yet the former leader of Voltron simply shrug any negative feelings he felt away.

"That's not really nice." Hunk spoke from behind the counter.

Lance took a deep breath and walked over to the counter. He rested his elbows on the counter and lifted his hands up so he could rest his chin in his hands. "Seriously, why won't a kiss from one's true love work. After all, I'm Allura's soul mate, right?" He leaned towards one side and pointed at one of the marks on his face. "These marks prove it."

Pidge let out a laugh. "I don't know what's funnier, the fact you think this is Sleeping Beauty or that you honestly think you're Allura's soul mate."

"Pidge..." Keith let out a sigh. "That's not very nice."

"Yeah, well..." Pidge glanced away so her eyeglasses hid her eyes from view. "... Lance wasn't very nice earlier."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Nothing."

"Well, I'm going for a walk. Unlike you three I am actually going to think of an answer to the solution." Lance saw the three look at each other in confusion. He folded his arms across his chest in annoyance before turning and leaving. "Seriously... nobody is coming up with a solution. Nobody cares about Allura like I do."

"You're right. Nobody cares about her like you do."

Lance turned and looked at the alien creature. The creature looked like a caterpillar with cat ears and otter mouth just like Slav, yet the colors of this one were much darker. Lance wasn't phased by the fact he'd never seen this specific alien before didn't faze him as anything he need be concerned about, and yet... "Who are you? What do you want?"

"What if I were to say I have a way of curing the princess of her soul sickness?" The creature lifted one of his eyebrows. "A way that only someone who cares about her the way you do could succeed at?"

A rather large and goofy smile spread across Lance's face. "Me!" He pointed at himself. "You mean I'm the one and only who can save Allura and not Keith! That makes perfect sense."

The creature lifted an eyebrow twice indicating Lance should follow him. Without hesitation, Lance did just that. He followed after the strange creature whose head height was around Lance's chest area. They eventually came to a place which was dark and secluded, yet Lance refused to listen to the warning bells which went off on his head that he was in fact following an evil Slav, for Slav was practically harmless if one didn't factor in his panic attacks over alternate realities play a factor in the negative outcomes he predicted.

The creature reached into a crevice and pulled out a blade. The blade was shaped just like the blade which let Keith into the Blade of Marmora, but instead of the pure silver, the blade was pitch black. Lance leaned forward while the creature held the blade out to him.

"So, what am I to do with that?"

"By killing those with corrupted souls you can awaken your love from her slumber."

"How will I know who is corrupted?" He found himself drawn towards the blade for some strange reason.

An evil glint appeared in the alien's eyes. "The blade will tell you. Take the blade."

Something in the back of his head screamed he shouldn't take the blade, but the blade itself was corruption, yet Lance pushed the thoughts away.

"You'd do anything to bring back the love of your life, right?"

"Yes." Lance, in fact, knew he would do anything. His hand reached out and took the blade.