Never Win

For once, he won.

Lance's childhood dream was entering the garrison academy and becoming an ace piolet like his childhood here, Takashi Shirogane. While his older brothers idolized sports heroes he idolized the piolet who broke many academy records, but he planned on breaking records as well. Instead of breaking records he found Keith standing in his way, for the person breaking Shiro's records was in fact, Keith. The attention of Takashi "Shiro" Shirogane was also directed undividedly towards Lance's "rival".

Even after becoming paladins of Voltron Keith kept winning everything. Keith was after all the first chosen as pilot of the ultra-fast red lion. Lance's "rival" was also Takashi Shirogane's choice for becoming a leader, but the black lion outright rejected Lance as an option for the leader position on the team. Lance's one strength – sharp shooting – remained underutilized compared to the skills of the other paladins, but Keith out shown everyone.

For once, though, he won.

He won Allura.

Allura chooses him over Keith, but Keith conceded defeat. Lance got the first date with their fellow paladin. He also – if one didn't count Lotor – got the first kiss. He solidified her as a part of his family, but he planned out his and Allura's entire future. With a girlfriend and eventual fiancé as beautiful as Allura and someone as handsome as himself, there was no way their future children would be ugly, yet he finally gained a position at the adult table among his family.

For once, he won...

... but lost everything.

She sacrificed herself so the universe might survive. The happiness Lance found was ripped from his grasp and smashed into a million pieces leaving him with nothing. Gone was the dream wedding. Gone was the dream honeymoon. Gone was the blissful dream of coming home from work for a home cooked meal, a kiss from the most beautiful wife in the entire universe, and warm hugs from the children. Gone was his chance at the perfect life he'd always dreamed of.

For the most part, things returned to normal. Despite everyone treating the paladins as heroes, there was now no Voltron to be paladins of. Everything which made Lance special was gone and he found himself left with the empty feeling. Hunk had cooking, Pidge her science stuff, Shiro the Atlas and Keith...

Keith was looking for Allura.

Lance felt angry. Allura was his, but if she were out there waiting for someone to rescue her the person would be Lance and not Keith. Lance was sure she would call out to him. After all, she was able to communicate with the Space Mice telepathically, but he was the one she choose; that meant he was her soulmate. His face was even adorned by Altean marks proving Allura was his.

"He did this when Shiro disappeared." Lance held his trey in front of him as he and Hunk moved through the line. "And what happened?"

"He found Shiro?"

"No, I found Shiro. Sure, I didn't realize Shiro's soul was stuck in the black lion's inner world, but I found Shiro. Keith found his clone. So no. No way Keith is going to find Allura. What he's doing is absolutely pointless."

"It's not pointless to Keith."

Lance followed Hunk over towards one of the tables where Pidge sat. Her mouth pressed into a frown. "Is it just the three of us today?"

"Keith's an idiot." Lance slammed his tray onto the mess hall table.

"Yea, but what about Shiro, Coran, and Romelle?"

"Coran and Romelle are busy trying to rebuild Altea by themselves and Shiro..." Lance rolled his eyes. "Shiro is waiting for Keith to get back. I can't believe he's actually letting Keith do whatever he wants, but then again that's normal. I don't see why neither of them sees what Keith is doing won't do anything."