Part Fourteen

Chased laughed out loud as he and Wren hopped from branch to branch like monkeys. It was a genuine laugh. For the first time in a while, he felt free. The new outfit he donned made him feel like a new person. He felt a strange sense of belonging even though he had yet met the people. He felt agile and strong. He could feel the bark under his feet but it didn't bother him. He was over thirty feet off the ground and had no fear of falling. Chase didn't want to stop leaping through the leaves but the ground was getting close.

The two boys landed on the ground. Chase's landing wasn't that graceful but he didn't break anything so that's a plus. He straightened up, a little dizzy from the adrenaline. He and Wren shared a smile. Wren seized Chase's wrist and ran away from the big Tree and towards the village.

Although they weren't exactly holding hands both boys were blushing a little. Chase had never had this much positive human contact. Usually he was getting beaten up at school or at home. Wren had never had this much contact ever. Human or nymph.

The boys had stopped running as they entered the edge of the village. Chase when a little pink when he realized Wren was still holding his wrist. Wren must have realized it too because he dropped Chase's wrist. Wren looked away but Chase was pretty sure the other boy must have been blushing too. Looking at the village again, Chase was reminded of that afternoon when he was brought like a prisoner of war to meet the queen. That was only a day ago. Thought Chase. It seemed as though he was looking at a different place. People were no longer cowering behind trees at the sight of him. In fact, they didn't seem to notice him at all. Two little dryad children ran in front of him, giggling at they went.

The boys followed along a well worn path through the village. Chase was never a huge Star Wars guy but he couldn't get over how much this village in the woods looked like it belonged in the moon of Endor and should have little teddy bear guys inhabitants. "We're going to the river." Wren said pulling Chase out of his thoughts. "There's someone I want you to meet." Chase began to wonder if there were water nymphs as well but his thoughts were once again interrupted. Ringo was panting heavily as he caught up with them. "Carry me, human. Man, I miss the city." Chase picked up the fat raccoon and let him climb into his shoulder. "Are we going to see Rìa?" Ringo said from Chase's shoulder. Wren nodded. "I love her, she's great." Chase's stomach dropped. Was this Rìa girl close to Wren? Was she his girlfriend or something? If Ringo loved her so much they must go to see her often. The path came to an end by a river. The same one he looked for when he tried to run away. This part must be farther along the river then he'd ventured because he didn't recognize this part. "This is the Ran. She is named after one of mothers of water. In what you humans call Norse mythology." Wren said. "Creatures called naiads live in the rivers and streams here. Rìa is a naiad from Puerto Rico so I hope you know a little bit of Spanish." Chase shrugged, he had taken Spanish and French in high school but barely remembered any of it. The three of them stared at the water. Suddenly a girl surfaced." Hola Bobo," she looked at Chase." Aye, Él es el que tiene tu corazón." Wren looked over at Chase with a worried look. Chase looked confused and this relieved Wren. He thought Chase hadn't understood. But Chase had. And the words keep ringing in his ears. He is the one with your heart.