Death of a Princess

"She's dead, and so are we. It's just a matter of time." Failing to remain calm, Thomas Parry paced on the floor before, oblivious to Princess Elizabeth's still warm corpse. He found it ironic, almost offensive, her flushed cheeks appeared so bright. As if the girl were still in good health, only sleeping. "Has Mary found a girl to replace the Princess yet?" He nervously addressed the only two other people in the sleeping chamber, Lady Kat Ashley and Physician Ingle.

"Your Lord, there are no girls the Princess's age who resemble her in the village." The physician was adamant about this. He knew all of the families in Bisley.

"Damnation, we need a girl! It can't be that hard to find one. The King will be here in a few hours." Parry had become wild eyed, his hands increasingly agitated, but Kat sat deep in thought. She was preternaturally calm. After recovering from the shock of Elizabeth's death, self preservation had quickly cemented itself in her veins. Knowing Thomas was unable to think clearly, she had readily embraced a cold, emotionless state of intellect. For their survival, she knew she must take the lead in their vile endeavor.

"What about Neville? He could be the Princess. You saw him in that dress." She spoke purposefully, ignoring her dead charge lying motionless on the bed. Guilt nor sentiment would not interfere with the plan forming in her mind.

"Are you insane, woman? He's a male. Besides, all I saw of him was a bumbling idiot falling at my feet. He could never pass as the Princess Elizabeth, no matter how much we groomed him.The King would see through such a charade in a heartbeat."

"Our deception will work," countered Lady Kat, "that is, if Neville doesn't speak too much." She looked up at Sir Parry holding his gaze with a piercing intensity, before quietly stating what they both knew to be true. "You know King Henry's eyesight is poor. He's determined to secure his kingdom. He'll want to believe the lie."

The physician who'd been silent until now let out a hoarse cry. "What you both speak of is blasphemy! Your discussion is not only disingenuous, it's evil. The Princess's body should be blessed by a priest, not hidden away in the some dark hole without absolution."

The guardians were surprised, but refused to change their plan because of Ingle's guilty conscious. Her face in his, Lady Kat loudly ridiculed the man's objections. "Look here, you old fool! We may be blasphemous, but we're not insane. What would you have us do? Throw ourselves before the King's mercy? No moral compass is strong enough for me to beg the King for my life. I've seen how his mercy ends. Being separated from one's head! This charade will be over tonight. Tomorrow, we can leave the country and this nightmare behind us.  Surely you see this is the only way to gain enough time to make our travel arrangements. If we fail, we shall be burned at the stake!"

Sir Parry listened in silence, nervously weighing his options. He thought of his wife and young son. How they would suffer without his income, without him there to protect them. "I agree," he said slowly, "the King is cunning, but he's not infallible. We must try to pass the boy off as Princess Elizabeth."

"It will work, I tell you. Neville knows all of Elizabeth's mannerisms. Under that hair and dirt, he almost has the same features."

Sir Parry found Lady Ashley's conviction contagious. He grew more convinced by the moment that having Neville impersonate Princess Elizabeth made sense. "How can we ensure the stable boy will agree to become the royal princess?"

"We'll terrorize him, then we'll bribe him."

He raised an eyebrow at Lady Ashley's  ruthlessness nature, then turned to Ingle. "Go and fetch the stable boy. Make sure he bathes until he's clean, then cut his hair and bring him to us."

Lady Ashley, grabbed Ingle's arm as he passed her. "Take my guard with you. Bring the boy's mother as well. Don't worry about bathing her."

Sir Parry watched the men leave. "Hopefully, he and the guard will keep their mouths shut."

"You're thinking too far ahead. We just need Neville to pass tomorrow night's test."

After Ingle had gone, Lady Ashley went to her room. Rummaging through a heavy, carved trunk, she pulled one of Anne's dark, long haired wigs. It was from a masquerade ball years before the doomed Queen had divorced. She returned with it to the dead woman's child, comparing the wig color to the corpse's long hair. "Yes, this will work."She murmured. "Luckily, Neville's dark eyes are akin to Elizabeth's." She felt a brief pang of grief realizing those eyes would never open again. Her resolve momentarily wavered as she contemplated the gruesome task.

Seeing her will was failing, Sir Thomas miraculously regained his nerve, taking charge again. "In truth Kat, we have little time for grieving. Let us proceed."

She was glad of his impatience. Exhausted, her emotions were wearing thin. "Have Sarah wash and prepare the Princess's body for burial. We will put her in the chapel vault for now. After the King leaves we'll give the poor child a proper burial."