Villainess

"If you're cold, you can get yourself a dog! You shouldn't be in my bed." Neville yanked his covers back, gathering them protectively around his waist. With his free hand, he pointed to the door. "You should leave, Mary. Now."

Instead of listening, Mary lunged forward, trying her best to kiss him.

"What's wrong with you? Stop it!" Neville swatted her away from him. When she redoubled her efforts, he angrily shoved her away. "This is wrong on so many levels."

Breathless, Mary sank back on the bed on her heels. "You're different Neville. I could tell you cared about me in the chapel. I could feel it. Even though I was vile and nasty to you, you took pity on me."

"I care for you with sisterly affection."

"You're not my sister. You were kind to me. I'll do everything to return the favor." Mary hesitated before she added. "If you tell me you love me." Neville was terrified at her determination to take his virginity.

"Do me a favor, right now. Stop trying to bed me! Lord, I want to go back to Bisley. Royal life is not for me."

Mary shook her head. "I'll not be alone again. You're staying here with me. Forever."

Neville was shocked. Despite acting sinfully, Mary still wore her black rosary over her white night dress. Has she lost her moral compass, or her sanity? Panicked, he jumped from the bed in one swift move. Grabbing his clothes, he fled from the room.

Once in the long hallway, Neville discovered the castle was freezing. He shivered as he padded to the kitchen. I'll sleep by the hearth, next to the coals. At least I'll be warm. The large copper cooking pots hanging from the rafters made him homesick for the manor and Sarah's protective mothering.

As Neville, stood warming himself by the kitchen fireplace, a disembodied voice startled him. "I know you. You're the Bisley boy." A dark, figure emerged from the shadows. Too late, Neville remembered his wig was still on the bed post. "Why are you running through the castle naked?" The man was clad all in black, his voice low and cultivated. Neville felt the menace of a hungry wolf about him. One that was ready to lunge. He hastily clothed himself. "If you're going to call the guards, go ahead. I'll not be toyed with."

The stranger leveled a penetrating gaze on him. Involuntarily, the boy shivered. He's assessing my weaknesses.

"There's something you should know." Ingle has been hanged." The man delivered the news with a detached cold emotionless.

"What?" Shocked, Neville stood rooted to the spot as the stranger's words sank in. After a few minutes, anger overcame his fear. "Why was Physician Ingle hanged?"

The cloaked man shrugged. "He was executed for plotting against the crown." The stranger filled two cups with ale from a barrel and handed one to Neville. "You look pale."

"He was a friend." Neville took a nervous sip. "I'll miss him."

"Ah, I'm sorry. You don't have many friends, do you Neville?"

The boy didn't answer, but shook his head sadly. Who was this awful man? He seems to know everything about me.

"I might be able to help you, lad." The Druid like figure held up his hand, displaying the White Rose Symbol.

Neville recognized the ring. It was a match to the one Simone had given him. "You're Walsingham." He took a cautious step back. "Listen here, My Lord. I don't want to be a Princess. I just want to go back to Bisley and work on a farm."

Walsingham's voice took on a fatherly tone. "Nonsense lad. You're here now. Why not make the most of Christmas?" Seeing the boy was overwhelmed and homesick, he relented. "Alright, Neville. If the King favors Mary over you, perhaps your purpose here is finished. If this happens, you can return home." He raised his hand. "First, I'll need the cipher book Ingle stole from me."

"I don't have it!"

"That's a shame. You wouldn't want anything to happen to your friend, Simone, would you?"