A Star is Born

Henry VIII needed the assistance of his two fittest lords to mount his powerful stallion. Once the King was seated however, Neville noted what an accomplished equestrian the formidable man was.

"You cut an impressive figure, Father." The compliment Neville had paid the king was sincere. Truly, he must have been a magnificent jousting opponent when he was younger.

Henry sat straighter, enjoying his offspring's admiration. "Thank you, Elizabeth. It warms my heart to hear your praise." He slapped his left thigh. "The gout in my leg still troubles me mercilessly when I ride." He grinned. "Is this the hunter you mentioned last night?" 

"Yes. A fine mare is she not?" The sorrel horse pranced lightly under Neville's expert hands. He felt her need to release powerful unspent energy as she pawed the ground, nodding her head several times. She snorted, impatient to be off. Neville expertly held her in place until the king surprised him by taking off in a full canter.

"Show off!" Lady Kat was disgusted that she and Sir Parry been left behind, planning to eaves drop on the boy's conversation with the monarch. Mounting their own horses, they took off after the King and Neville.

Neville gripped his horse tightly. His strong shanks pressed his mount's flanks, urging her to catch the King. When he breasted the stallion, he kneed his horse into a gallop. Elizabeth had been a hesitant rider at best, but how would Henry have known that? He'd never seen her ride. He made sure to reign in his mare before she surpassed the King's horse. Father and daughter made a spectacular show of racing to the main village. Henry's company trailed several lengths behind them, Tudor banners whipping in the wind.

"Good Lord, look how they love to risk their necks! They act as though they haven't a care in the world." Sir Parry pursed his lips in abhorrence of the recklessness behavior. "If Neville breaks his neck, we'll all pay for it."

"Let them have their fun." Lady Ashley was alertly watching the pair's body language. She noted Neville was the superior rider, appearing as one with his graceful mare. "I'm glad I fastened that wig on his head with a multitude of pins this time." She smiled to herself in a congratulatory manner. "Understand Thomas, Neville's male sex works to our advantage."

"Pray Kat, why do you say that?" Sir Parry frowned, squinting at the distant trail of dust the horses had kicked up in their wake. He experienced an odd moment of melancholy for a simpler life, wondering if he'd permanently lost control of his destiny.

"Remember Anne's boldness with the King?" Lady Ashley delicately adjusted her rump in the tiny saddle. "She behaved as an equal-she absolutely refused to subjugate herself to him."

"Yes, I remember her strange masculine traits. They were what attracted the King to her in the first place. "Sir Parry craned his neck, watching townspeople line the road ahead of them. The crowd cheered, waving their handkerchiefs to signal they were enjoying the King's impromptu show. "The subjects still love their Prince. Tis a shame his son, Edward, is too frail to travel with him."

"It's not a shame for us. The bond forming between these two already rivals the one he has with his sickly son." Lady Kat nodded in the direction of Henry and Neville. "The King savors his lost youth with Neville. He acts like a wild, romping boy. His fond sentiment towards his little Princess will work to our advantage." Ahead of them, the pair of racing horses had slowed as they approached the town green.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"How are your lessons coming daughter?" Henry breathed heavily, out of breath from the satisfying race. "What languages do you study?" Neville answered him in perfect French, then Latin, before switching to Spanish.

Henry laughed appreciatively. His face became open and relaxed, as if momentarily enjoying that it was just the two of them. "I will have to compliment, your tutor." Noting a softer tone, Neville looked at the older man's demeanor. The King had slipped from his business like, distant affection, into a more fatherly attitude. He reminded Neville of the village basset hound that's made it's way round town, before curling up snoring in front of the local tavern's fireplace.

"Elizabeth, your mother was an intelligent woman. I'm not surprised you've inherited her skill with languages." He hesitated before adding. "She had the heart of a man, but she could also think like one. I see that quality in you." They both rode in silence for a moment. Neville felt the pain of Henry's unspoken words.

"I've often wondered about my mother's fate." Neville sadly thought of the deceased Princess. Had they stowed her body away like a forgotten rag doll l? "I believe I understand your motive. If there were no witches, there would be no plagues."

The king looked at him sharply, "Why do you speak of witchcraft, Elizabeth? Tis Bad luck! Listen carefully. Your mother bewitched me, but she was no witch."

They had reached the crowd now. "Praise be to his Majesty! Long live King Henry!" The pair waved in unison, responding to their adoring fans.

"Always the showman." Sir Parry glared at Neville's back, muttering his displeasure under his breath. When the two guardians finally caught up with their charge, he was chagrined to see the intimate discussion between Henry and Neville had ended.

"What were you two doing, racing off like that? What did he say to you?" Sir Parry discreetly pulled Neville aside to pepper him with questions.

"He said he won't have another son and that I remind him of his brother, Author, the first king."

"What's that now?" Parry's raised voice drew curious stares.

"Thomas, he's pulling your leg. His Majesty said no such thing." Lady Ashby couldn't help smiling at Neville's revenge on his gullible tormenter.

Over the fray, Neville heard an eerie, distinct voice calling for the King's attention. An old woman in a white kerchief hobbled towards them, shouting. "Listen to me, my Lord!"

"Speak of the devil!" Henry murmured. He waited on his horse for the woman to draw closer.

"A minute, your Majesty! Pray, I must speak with you!" As the hag passed him, she held Neville's gaze with her piercing blue eyes before whispering in his ear. "Princess Elizabeth, you will be the Queen of England one day!"

The King's Guards rushed over to pull the old woman away, but Henry raised his gloved hand. "Let her speak. I know the Lady Shipton."