Norfolk

Elizabeth recognized Norfolk as a man of great importance personally and politically, as he was her maternal relative and the most powerful man in England. -J.E.Neal

Walsingham was nowhere to be seen, but Neville spied Robert Cecile, the ape like man who had hunted the master spy in the kitchen that morning. Feeling as if someone was staring at him, Neville turned in his seat and caught his breath. Lord Norfolk was intently studying him.  He has the look of murder about him. Neville reflexively crossed himself. The ambition in the man's face was evident. Neville held his hymnal higher, shielding his face from Norfolk's inquisitive observation. As soon as the mass had ended, Lady Ashley and Sir Parry threaded their way over to him. Grabbing him by the arm, Sir Parry drew him aside to speak privately.

"Where were you this morning? You weren't at breakfast."

"I had bad dreams. I needed to get some ale to calm my nerves." The less he knows about my problem with Princess Mary, the better.

"You little drunkard. Next time you need comforting, come to my room. It's too dangerous for you to be traipsing around the castle unattended."

"I'm sure it won't happen again, my Lord. It must have been the Christmas pie. I'm not used to such rich fare." Lady Ashley seemed to accept his excuse, herself having indigestion from the heavily seasoned, pastry covered three meat dish. As the members of the castle household filed by them, Neville's heart skipped a beat. Walking in the midst of the maids, he recognized a familiar face. It was Simone. Her face lit up in delight when she saw him. She winked as she passed by.

Feeling a strong sense of unease, Neville looked up. The Chapel was two stories high, with the nave divided horizontally. He saw Lord Norfolk heading down the stairs towards him. He quickly pulled his arm away from Sir Parry. "I must use the garderobe. I'm sure you don't want to join me there. I shall see you at midday mass." With those parting words, he threaded his way through the crowds, trailing the direction Simone had taken. He caught up with her halfway down the great hall.

"Simone!" She halted when she heard him, smiling broadly as he approached.

"Lady Elizabeth. How now? It's a pleasure to see you again."

"What are you doing here?" Neville lowered his voice to an urgent whisper.

"I was sent to assist Lady Ashley with your care." Simone beamed as she spoke, obviously happy to be at the center of intrigue in the Royal court.

"It's dangerous here, but I'm glad you came." Neville glanced over at Lady Ashley and Sir Parry. "I could certainly use a real friend."

Over Simone's head, Neville spied Norfolk barreling through the throng towards them. "Come Simone, we must find somewhere private to speak." Together they circled back to the castle's small, secluded chapel.

"I heard what happened to Master Ingle. I'm truly sorry."

Simone's face grew fierce with grief. "Aye, tis foul what they did to Master Ingle." She discreetly moved her hands into her robes, pulling forth the cipher book. "He gave me this before he died."

"The cipher! Walsingham threatened me for this copy. It's extremely valuable to him."

"Then it's extremely valuable to us." Simone pulled a letter out of her pocket.

"What is this letter?"

"Master Ingle drafted it before he died. He entrusted it to me, hoping I could get it to you." Simone smiled. "As fate worked out, I was delivered here as part of the normal routine. I didn't have to sneak off and travel here as a fugitive. It has something to do with the Princess Mary."

"Yes." Neville said, thinking of Father Ballard.
"This divine fate is working in our favor."

As Neville read the contents of the letter, he smiled.