Part I: Chapter 4

I woke up early the next morning to the sound of my stomach growling. I hadn't eaten since the morning before the Choosing Ceremony, as I had spent that night and most of yesterday in the infirmary.

I rambled down to the cafeteria- it took me a while to find it but I got there eventually.

There weren't many people in the cafeteria, which made me believe it was very early. The first thing I'm going to buy is a watch.

I sat down by myself after grabbing eggs, bacon, and a blueberry muffin. 

I was almost ready to get up when some one sat down in front of me. Eric. 

He grabbed my plate and began finishing off what's left of my eggs.

"You're up early."

"Yeah," I paused, "I couldn't sleep. What time is it?"

"About 4:30. You've got another two hours before the rest of the initiates get woken up, if you want to go check out the pit and stuff." Eric stood and motioned for me to follow him. "You missed Four's speech yesterday. Initiation is split up into three parts. Stage one is physical, two mental, and three a combination of both. Stage two will be weighed higher than stage one, and stage three higher than stage two."

"Weighed? For what?"

"You'll be ranked. Final rankings determine your job opportunities, and who passes. After stage one, only the top 20 initiates will move on. There are 15 Dauntless-born," he said.

I had counted 9 transfers the other day, so that means what, four will be cut in the first stage? Holy shit.

"Where do they go?"

"Factionless, but some jump first." Can't blame them.

"We chose you," I muttered, "now you get to choose us."

Eric looks at me from the corner of his eye. "Exactly, Stiff, exactly."

[<>][<>] [<>][<>] [<>][<>] [<>][<>]

The rest of our walk was silent, although not awkward, and we quickly approached the Pit. 

He showed me some stores- the standard clothes store, where I would find stuff to wear daily and to sleep in; a shoe shop, where I was going first to get me some boots that actually fit; stores with food, furniture, and other supplies. I turned scarlet when Eric pointed out the lingerie shop with a smirk.

He lead me into the tattoo and piercing parlor that sat next to a beauty shop. I might dye my hair eventually, but not today.

"See anything you like? Some people get tats to signify something, or just because they think they look cool," Eric began flipping through designs, "But some get them to cover scars."

I'm grateful for him whispering the last part.

"Not today," was my only reply.

"You chicken, stiff?" He asked with a taunting grin.

Shaking my head, I replied, "No, I haven't earned it yet."

He looked confused so I continued, "I'll get some when I'm dauntless. I'm not abnegation anymore, but I'm not quite a member.  I'll get one when I've earned it."

I don't think anyone's ever said that, judging by the look on his face.

I turn away from him and walk back towards the clothing shop.

"How do I pay for this?"

"Dauntless runs on a point system. You got some when you joined, and you'll get an allotted amount each week. Higher ranked initiates get more, and members with higher jobs get more than others." He paused, "A leader will get more than a guard on the fence, and they'll get more than, say, a janitor." 

This man had a detailed answer for everything, didn't he?

I picked out some tight pants and shirts, along with some sports bras. The one given didn't fit right either, it was way to small. I try everything on, and wander back to where Eric's waiting.

We head over to the register, grabbing some socks and boots in the way."

What time is it now?"

"Damn stiff, you need a watch. But good timing, I need to go start setting up. Four just woke up the rest of the initiates." Eric paused, "You'll help me, seeing you don't have anything else to do."

Alright then.

I placed my items on the counter and the lady quickly checked everything out.

"Excuse me, can I have your point card?" Oh shit- I might have points but I didn't know I would need a card. I go blank for a second before an arm reaches over me.

"Move over stiff," I gaped at him as he signed the slip of paper.

"You don't have to do that, you know," I said as I trailed him out.

"Nah- it was only like 40 points. Besides, it's kinda my fault you don't have a card and I don't have time to go get you one," he said.

"What should I do with my bags?" I asked.

"The dorms are on the opposite side of the compound, so you can drop them off at mine, I guess. You help me set up and you won't have to run this morning."

Not running always sounds good.

He leads me up the stairs, into his apartment.

It's bigger than my entire house in Abnegation, if the rooms are proportional to the rest of the flat. Everything was simple and sleek, without anything out of place. The walls and furniture were all grays and deep royal blues. Hmm.

I guess he sees me gawking, "Perks of being a leader. You rank high and you can get one too."

I'd probably be a terrible leader, but I wouldn't mind some of the kickbacks. I set my stuff down and we leave as quickly as we came.

[<>][<>] [<>][<>] [<>][<>] [<>][<>]

Eric and I set up most of everything before Four walked in.

He shot Eric a nasty look, but Eric's glare shuts him up.

The rest of the initiates trail in, and we all stretch together before Four gives them outside for a run. I stay behind with Eric, who's true to his word about me not having to run.

"So what'd I miss yesterday?" I finally break the silence.

"We started with cardio and we taught them how to spar. Some basic training on punching bags, nothing against each other yet." He responds.

"Yet?" Were we going to fight one another?

"Fights start tomorrow. Transfers against transfers for the first week or so before you all get mixed up and thrown in there together," Eric paused, "Max wants me to pick out candidates for leadership, so the top Dauntless- born and transfers will be training with me personally."

"Oh?"

"I want to see how well you can actually fight, stiff," he said, throwing me a roll of tape, "put this on, and head over to the punching bags."

Shit.

[<>][<>] [<>][<>] [<>][<>] [<>][<>]

A/N: Thank you for 110 reads! I'm sorry for such slow updates. School's about to let out so I'll have much more time to write. 

Like, Comment, Share!

Much love, 

BarefootBluejeanGirl

published at some point in 2019

updated September 25 2023