Part I: Chapter 7

After exiling Rose from the compound, Eric seems surprisingly tired. Isn't he supposed to get a rush from something like this? He's probably just mad about the paperwork.

"Quit laughing, stiff, and get in the ring," he groans. "Candor, hurry up."

This will be my first real fight, I guess. The first one that will really showcase what I'm made of, what will put above or below the middle of the crowd. To be fair, I did fight Eric, a feat most won't ever accomplish, but it didn't count for anything. Even though I've already fought Eric once (and beat the shit out of the Amity), I'm still terrified.

The Candor, who I figured out was named Colton, was one of the few that sparred with the punching bags earlier, which was to my advantage. He also had an actual fight yesterday, and sparred before it with one of his buddies.

I've been watching everyone since we started, something that surprisingly hasn't gotten me yelled at by Eric yet, and I've picked up how they punch, kick, but most importantly, their tells. Colton was one of the few who didn't step before he punched, but he twisted his hips before he punched and squared his shoulders before he kicked. His kicks are weak- probably from the shoulder thing- so I doubt he'll use them, but the hip-thrust/twist thing will probably save my ass.

"Today, Stiff." A look from Eric tells me that I better kick his ass, but that I better do it quickly too.

Here we go, I guess.

Colton lunges first, as expected, and reaches out to punch me. I side- step him and grab his arm, before using his lack of balance to flip him over- not unlike what Eric did to me. He scrambles up, but I land a blow to his stomach, pushing him down again.

He stays down, this time reaching for my ankle and pulling me down with him. I land square on my ass and don't have time to get back up; he uses my fall as an opportunity to get on top of me and land a few punches to my face.

Joke's on you, Candor, cause I've spent most of my childhood being beaten. You'll barely leave a scratch.

He made the mistake of not securing my arms, so I easily throw him off of me and stand, dragging him up with me. Just like I did with the Amity, I bury one fist in his hair and throw the other into his face, over and over.

When he finally gets his shit together, he wraps his hands around my throat and I release him. But I was still successful- there's no way his nose isn't broken. His fingers dig into my windpipe, leaving me gasping for air, but again, nothing I'm not used to.

This time, when I ram my head forward, it comes in contact with Colton's probably-already-broken nose, and not Eric's somehow-undamageable body, and my move is much more successful.

Colton's hands fly to his face, and I take the opportunity to repeatedly punch and kick him in the stomach. He falls to the ground in a fetal position. He tries to grab my ankles again, but it's useless.

Another kick to his stomach, but this time it's followed by a glance to Eric. He nods and I get the message perfectly clear- show no mercy.

I land another, to his other side this time, as Eric finally asks, "Do you concede, initiate?"

Conceding is a terrible idea for his rank, we both know that, but fighting with a broken nose and several broken ribs is worse. He hesitates, and I kick him once more. I'm not sure if everyone can hear it, but I could feel the bone crack under my foot.

Colton finally drags a hand away from his face and taps the ground. Finally.

I stumble away from the mat as Four and the Erudite rush in and grab Colton, dragging him to the infirmary.

Eric doesn't even bother cleaning the blood up before starting the next fight. After getting some water and washing off my hands, I wander back to the ring to watch.

Eric strides over to me. From the way he's holding his arms crossed and his hand covering his mouth, I think he's pissed. But as he gets closer, I see in his eyes that his hand is hiding his smirk.

He doesn't say anything, just stands by my side, but I still feel the approval from him.

My lips twirl up into a smug smirk and we watch the rest of the fights together.

Nov 16, 2019

Sept 25, 2023