Part I: Chapter 11

originally chapter 13

I wake up early again, but today in my own bed. I remembered falling asleep at Eric's, but nevertheless I was still surprised when I woke up next to him in clothes that weren't mine. And, miraculously, without a hangover.

I won my first fight yesterday, against an Erudite boy— Greyson, maybe? You'd think training, eating, and sleeping in the same dorm as these people would help me remember their names, but I seem to have taken after Eric— I can only seem to remember their origin factions. It doesn't help that I've spent all my free time in the gym, with the exception of hanging out with the Dauntless boys or Eric.

I guess I'm being a little hypocritical though, because I've thrown punches at the few stupid enough to call me Stiff.

Eric said we're supposed to start fighting the Dauntless born Friday or Monday. But he also said we're progressing faster than expected, so who knows.

Kyle (The undefeated Candor) and I are easily top of the class, by a long shot. Scott and Adam are ranked top of their class, first and second, respectively. I've only seen Scott fight once, and he's nearly as brutal as Eric. But Scott thinks only with his fists, and Adam, although smaller, appears far smarter.

If I had the time to study Scott, I believe I could beat him. I'm not sure about Adam though; our fighting styles are too similar. He's grown up in Dauntless and he's watched fighting for far to long. I'm far from ready to fight anyone with that much experience.

"Listen up, initiates. Start your stretches, then we'll begin fights."

I humor Four by running around the gym a few times, but then I'm back to the knives.

"Why the hell are you throwing knives? You know you're fighting today, right?"

I laughed, "Yeah, I know. You know you're overseeing training today, right? You're a little late."

I was only a little disappointed when Eric wasn't at the cafeteria, or in the gym. I'd gotten used to bickering with him over breakfast and throughout our morning workout routine.

"Paperwork is hell, stiff," Eric's skilled hands pick up one of my knifes, twirls it around his finger, and hits the target with ease. "You didn't answer my question. Why the hell are you over here throwing knives?"

"Well, if I can't fight by now, I'm not going to be able to figure it out in thirty minutes. I'm already warm— I've been here since 5 unlike some people— so I'm throwing just to keep my arms loose. If I go over there right now, I'll just allow them to study my technique."

That made Eric laugh. "Hell, stiff, I think you're over estimating your peers. They don't know shit about studying their opponents."

"Butttt if I stand over here I can watch them without you and Four yelling at me for not doing anything productive."

"Are you doing anything productive?"

"Well, no."

"You need to be fully prepared for your fight later."

"I take it I'm not fighting Oliver."

He just fucking smirks. "You have the last fight before lunch, stiff. Be ready."

[<>][<>] [<>][<>] [<>][<>] [<>][<>]

Kyle beat the shit out of Greyson. Colton beat Basil, and the Erudite and Candor girls, Sophia and Alissa, are currently struggling to harm each other. The Dauntless borns don't fight until after lunch, but they're still hanging around the gym watching us. That leaves me and the Candor boy, Oliver.