rise three

⠀⠀⠀I wake up in the darkness wondering when and how I fell asleep. I look around to see if all the boys are here but they aren't. I count again and notice only three of the boys are here. I see Ashton, Luke, and Michael. Not Calum.

⠀⠀⠀"Calum?" I whisper. I stand up and look around but he isn't here. "If you jump up and scare me Calum, I swear-"

⠀⠀⠀"Help!" I hear from outside the shed. Oh my god.

⠀⠀⠀I run out the shed and see Calum getting cornered by four dead.

⠀⠀⠀"Calum!" I shout and he sees me. So does four other dead.

⠀⠀⠀"Jo? Help me please!" He begs and I hold in my laugh. I shouldn't even be thinking about laughing right now, what is wrong with me?

⠀⠀⠀I go up to the dead and grab my knife. They limp towards me as I step back. Once one puts his arm up I charge.

⠀⠀⠀I grab the back of the head of the dead closest to me. I stab the knife into its skull and he falls back.

⠀⠀⠀I see Calum come up to one of the dead, tripping it, and smashing his foot onto its head. He then comes to a lady dead and punches it's jaw. It stumbles back but gains it's balance again and I go to it. It's my turn. I go up and stab my knife where the heart should be. The thing is these dead have no heart so I don't know why I did what I did. It's useless.

⠀⠀⠀Calum then trips the lady and does the same thing he did to the other one. Smash his foot onto its head.

⠀⠀⠀"Jo. Go back, I can handle this." His chest puffs up and down. He's sweating, like crazy.

⠀⠀⠀"Didn't look like you could handle it when they were cornering you." I snap. He should thank me for helping him, not tell me he didn't need it.

⠀⠀⠀"I know, just go back. I don't want you getting hurt." He says once a dead comes up and grabs Calum's neck, choking him.

⠀⠀⠀"Oh my god." I mumble to myself, shaking my head. I forgot there was one more dead.

⠀⠀⠀The decaying figure brings his dead hands up Calum's jaw, snapping it. I cover my mouth as I go up and beat it with my knife. It did nothing.

⠀⠀⠀I see Calum's eyes change and I blink my tears away. He's going to survive. He's not gonna die. I won't let him.

⠀⠀⠀I grab my gun and aim for the dead's skull. I don't think and shoot, regretting my mistake.

⠀⠀⠀I see Calum fall to the ground. I shot him. I shot Calum.

⠀⠀⠀The dead bends down and opens it's mouth but I smash my foot into its head before he could lay a bite on Calum.

⠀⠀⠀I look at Calum, who's holding his shoulder. The place I shot him. He can't die, I remember thinking. I wont let him.

⠀⠀⠀"Jo." His voice cracks.

⠀⠀⠀"Calum, I'm so sorry. You don't know. I thought I was aimed for his head but he moved and I don't know, Calum, I'm so sorry." I say, not thinking about anything coming out my mouth right now.

⠀⠀⠀"Jo, stop. Get Ashton." He directs. I nod and go run to the shed.

⠀⠀⠀"Guys. Wake up!" I shout. I go over to where Ashton is laying and shake him. He groans and I punch him.

⠀⠀⠀"What!" He shouts and I flinch at how he just raised his voice at me but I don't care.

⠀⠀⠀"Calum- He needs help. He's outside-" I grab his hand. "C'mon!"