Chapter 24

It wasn't even a minute after they walked into the school that they heard their first comment.

"Huh," the kid said. "I never would have pinned you guys as two fags."

Xander had clenched his fist and glared at the kid but Nolan had rested his hand on his arm to calm him down before he could do anything. "It's not worth it," he mumbles, though he was angry himself.

Xander let's out a sigh of defeat and shakes his head. "You're a d-bag," he mutters to the kid as they continue down the hallway. All the way to Nolan's locker kids were staring at them and mumbling things behind their backs. Nolan felt the heat creep up the back of his neck as he only grew more embarrassed.

"So I... I told my mom about all of this," Nolan mentions.

Xander glances over at him. "Yeah? What did she think?"

He smiles a bit and opens up his locker. "Said she still loved me. She always said that you're a good boyfriend and we make a cute couple."

Xander blushes and grins shyly down at his shoes. It was weird having everyone, well almost everyone, know about them. There were some perks to it along with some pretty obvious downfalls as well. "That's great, Nolan. I figured she would though. Your mom couldn't hurt a fly even if she wanted to."

"I know she-" his words were cut off as some boy came out of no where and shoved him into his locker.

"Move out of my way, Queer," he says, grinning menacingly.

"Alright, that's enough," Xander starts. He grabs the kid by the shirt and slams him against the lockers. "You don't ever touch him again! He raises his fist to hit him but gets yanked back before he could.

"Alexander, that's enough." He turns to see Mr. Mack looking back at him. He releases his shirt before looking at the other kid. "You, get to class I'll deal with you later. Alexander, come talk with me first." He then walks back into his classroom.

Xander sighs and looks at Nolan. "I'll meet you in first hour?"

Nolan nods. "Yeah... good luck," he says with a shrug.

Xander offers him a nervous smile before following after Mr. Mack and going into his classroom. "He was the one that started it so it's not fair if I get in trouble and he doesn't."

"Hey, you're not in trouble," he says softly, leaning against the front of his desk. "I just wanted to pull you to the side to talk to you. I heard what happened yesterday from some kids in the hallway and I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

Xander couldn't help but stare back at him. He didn't get why Mr. Mack would even care. After all he was just his algebra teacher.

"I'm fine," he mumbles.

"Xander look... I get that I'm just your teacher and you think you can't talk to me but I know what you're going through. I was a big schooler too and not that long ago."

"Yeah, but you still don't get it. You don't get the humiliation and the... the name calling and what it feels like to have someone out you like this. It fucking sucks and I hate it. I hate it all so much," he explodes.

Mr. Mack nods. "No you're right... I don't know what it's like for someone to out me, but I understand the humiliation. I'm 24 now and I brought my first boyfriend home when I was 18. My mom freaked out when she realized I was gay. Started with the name calling and then kicked me out of the house. So I get what it feels like to- well to feel different. It's a terrifying at first there's no denying that but now that I'm older and I have my fiancé everything that I had to go through to get here was worth it. So my point is you just have to stick through all this tough crap cause in the end it's so much better. I promise you that. And if you ever need to talk or need advice I want you to know you can always come to me. For anything."