Breaking down.

I woke up to a dim light falling on my face. I opened my eyes, feeling confused for a moment, before it all came rushing back.

Then came the pain.

Branching out from my side like sharp vines cutting into my skin. I instinctively reached down to my hip, only to be met with the sensation of plastic and cotton beneath my fingers.

My heart beating fast, I looked down to see the two thick pads, wrapped around my body like swaddling cloths.

Tears pulled at my eyes and a lump lodged itself in my throat, threatening to break into a sob. I swallowed down my fear and slowly pulled myself up, drawing away from the soft blue sheets wrapped around my skin.

I was back in the bedroom, the grey and blue one he left me in the day before. If it even was the day before. I felt like I had been asleep for weeks.

The smell of bacon drifted past the slightly open door, and I took a deep breath before pushing myself up onto shaky feet. I winced at the pain emanating from my wounds, but forced myself to ignore it. I stumbled to the door and pulled it open, stopping to take another big breath before stepping through and shuffling down the hallway towards the living area. The smell of bacon got stronger as I got closer, and my stomach ached with hunger.

The first thing I noticed when I stepped into the living room was the flower. Crisp and red, sitting in a thin vase of water in the centre of the table. A single red rose, the colour of blood.

The sight made me sick. All thoughts of my hunger were replaced with unease. The rose reminded me again of where I was. It made me think of last night, the blood running down my skin like a fountain. The words carved into my flesh.

"Good morning, my rose."

My head snapped to the kitchen, where my kidnapper was smiling at me as he served up two plates of bacon and eggs. He met my gaze, before his eyes traveled down my body to the pads on my skin.

I was suddenly acutely aware of my clothing, or rather, my lack of clothing. I was still wearing the bra and stained underwear I had been last night.

Mustering up as much courage as I could, I cleared my throat, drawing his attention away from my bare flesh. I hated the lust evidently playing across his face.

"Could I have some clothes?" I asked, forcing my voice to stay even.

He nodded, dropping the empty saucepan in the sink and picking up the two plates filled with eggs. "Of course, my rose. But first, please, come eat, before your breakfast gets cold."

I shook my head. "No, I'd rather–"

But he cut me off, his voice sharp. "Rule number two, my rose. Do as I say."

I clenched my mouth shut, pursing my lips. I didn't want to eat my breakfast half naked, but I had no choice. I didn't want to anger him further.

He gestured to one of the seats at the table, placing down each plate. The cutlery was already resting beside the plate, and hesitantly, I sat down, staring the food on my plate. I waited until the man was seated and I could hear the scrape of cutlery from his own plate before I started eating.

I was so hungry, it took all I had not to devour the plate of eggs and bacon. Even though I tried to pace myself, I was still finished well before my kidnapper. He let out a chuckle when he saw my empty plate. "Someone's a little piggy this morning."

I wanted to snap at him, tell him that I was only hungry because he hadn't really fed me, but I held my tongue. He was in a good mood this morning. I didn't want to ruin that.