Chapter 9

"What is your opinion?" Ram asked me.

We were seated on chairs in the open front courtyard of our residence. Geetha had taken Anitha to a nearby grocery shop. The road was moderately busy as it was only around seven in the evening. Ram's face looked tired and sad.

"I think we should discuss with Karthik before taking any precipitating decision."

"But Anitha is dead against it."

"That is understandable given the trauma she has undergone for months."

"Then what shall we do?"

"Wait."

"How many days can we wait?"

"Weeks. Maybe months. We can't afford to take such critical decisions in haste."

Ram was silent for a while. Then he asked.

"Did she tell you anything about Karthik?"

I didn't answer. I didn't want to answer. I was exploring western horizon. Venus was conspicuously absent. It should have appeared in the eastern horizon in the early morning.

"She is slowly recovering from the trauma. Let us wait for some time. She may allow us to communicate with Karthik."

Ram nodded. He fell into his thoughts for a while.

I explored the western horizon again. Saturn was now visible just above the horizon.

Ram asked me hesitantly. "Can you talk to Karthik?"

"I won't do it without Anitha's consent."

Ram felt a bit uneasy. But he would have expected this reply from me.

Ram thought for a while. "Shall I go to Chennai and meet Karthik?"

"Why would you do that?"

"We can know what happened. We can know what is happening there now."

"So?"

"Otherwise, how can we take any decision?"

"Even then you cannot take any decision. Anitha has to cooperate."

"Why don't you convince Anitha to cooperate? She'll listen to you."

"You don't know me."

"No, she is little girl. She doesn't know much about worldly affairs. We have to advise her properly."

"You don't know your daughter either."

"Please, Vignesh. It is important."

"Ram, I understand your concern. I know my responsibility as well. I consider Anitha on par with Priya. I'll do what I have to do to Anitha considering her as Priya."

"Vignesh, I know you'll do what is good for Anitha in the long run. But Swetha is worried about the immediate future. How can we sit idle?"

"Okay, you do what you think is right for your daughter. I'll do what I can for her."

By now, Geetha and Anitha arrived back in an autorickshaw.