Chapter 1

Ralph and Jack had been dating for about three years now. They had gone through lots of things together, but all of them only made the pair love each other even more. Most of their friends said they were the strangest couple they'd ever seen, but it was clear to them—and everyone else—that the two boys really did have something special. However, nothing would ever compare to the mess that Jack would create today.

Jack was working on a project when Ralph walked into the bedroom of their shared apartment. The blonde walked over and stood near Jack, who was sitting at his desk.

"Whatcha' working on there?" Ralph asked.

"Some paper," Jack exhaled, rubbing his face with his hands.

Ralph frowned at Jack.

"You look stressed," He said. Jack nodded.

"Why don't you take the day off, huh? You can spend it with me. I'll take you wherever you want," Ralph smiled, playing with a red curl in Jack's hair.

"I can't, I have to finish this."

"When is it due?"

"In two weeks."

"So why can't you afford to take just one day off?"

Jack was silent. Anyone who knew Jack knew that when he started something, he would obsess over it until he got it done.

"Come on, Jack. We both know you need it," Ralph spoke softly but sternly, lifting Jack's chin with two fingers. Jack stared up at Ralph through icy blue eyes that wore bags under themselves.

Jack grimaced, pushed Ralph's hand away, and stood up.

"No, Ralph! What I need is to finish this!"

Ralph shook his head, looking up at the taller boy.

"You're getting more stressed and aggressive everyday. You need at least one day of a break. Please, Jacky. Do it for me."

"I'm sorry," Jack averted his gaze and went to sit back down.

"No!" Ralph pulled Jack away by his wrist.

"I don't want to lose my cool, but goddamn it, Jack! We hardly ever talk anymore, and when we do talk, it's for at max five minutes! I'm your boyfriend. If we don't even talk how will this ever work out?"

Jack looked at Ralph fearfully.

"It'll work out! After this paper I'll—"

"That's what you always say!" Ralph interrupted, "But nothing ever changes! I can't help but think, do you... even still love me?"

Ralph cocked a worried eyebrow, awaiting Jack's response.

"What? Of course I love you Ralph! But schoolwork is really important—"

"Oh, so I'm not as important as a paper due in two weeks?"

"That's— that's not what I mean!"

"So what do you mean?"

"I just— I really have to do this!"

"Jack, our relationship is straining because of this! You're not the same!"

"Shut up, Ralph! I am fine! I'm still the same—"

"No, you are not! The Jack I knew wouldn't tell me to shut up and the Jack I knew would never act like this!"

"Ralph! Just shut up..." Jack grimaced, his fist clenching as she shut his eyes tightly in anger.

"No!" Ralph slammed a fist on the desk, "Quit telling me to—"

"I said shut up!" Jack yelled, raising an outstretched hand.

When he opened his eyes again, he saw Ralph sitting on the floor, holding his cheek with one hand.

Jack, immediately confused and afraid, pulled his outstretched hand into his chest and went from one hundred to zero in only a few seconds.

"I— What— I didn't—" Jack stammered.

"Ralphy?" He whispered.

Ralph moved his hand away from his face to reveal a red hand print on it. Jack's eyes widened and he fell on the floor towards Ralph.

"Ralph, oh fuck, no..." he panicked.

Ralph only stared at him with a look of horror, shock, and anger all at once.

Neither of them said anything until Ralph pursed his lips together. He stood up quickly and Jack followed.

"Fuck you, Jack Merridew," Ralph shook his head.

Whilst muttering out curses he pulled off his promise ring quickly and chucked it to the floor.

"We're over," he said, quickly storming out of the apartment.

"No, Ralph, wait, I—"

Ralph slammed the door in Jack's face. He leaned his forehead on it and slid down.

"I'm sorry..." he finished.

In a fit of anger, he stood up and kicked the door, stomping back into the bedroom. He fell to his knees on the floor and reluctantly let a few tears slide onto his freckled cheeks.

When Jack spotted the promise ring sitting on the ground, he snatched it and stared. It was a pretty nice ring. A silver band that wore a tiny, blue sapphire.

Ralph's favorite.

Jack sobbed.