Chapter 4

Jack and Ralph walked into Simon and Roger's bedroom— or rather, Ralph dragged Jack into Simon and Roger's bedroom. They were silent as they went and for a surprising amount of time, Jack actually gave Ralph the chance to speak.

Ralph shut the door and turned around, "What makes you think you have any right being here?"

Jack averted his gaze, so Ralph continued.

"You can't just barge into our friends' house and demand to see me. That isn't how it's going to work anymore."

"I know," Jack replied, grabbing his opposite arm and tightening his fist around it, "I'm sorry."

"Don't do that," Ralph sighed, taking his hand off of his other arm, then dropping it, "Jack, I know you don't want this, but we're over—"

"Why?!" Jack yelled, throwing his arms out to his sides, "You know I can change; I will! I'll change! I'll be..."

Jack stopped, noticing how Ralph slightly cowered back. He knew Ralph would never stand down to him, but Jack had changed something in Ralph, and he knew it.

Jack hung his head down, then continued, "I'll be better. I know you've waited a long time and with no avail, I realize that now. I'm sorry. I know I fucked up and I know I fucked you up. God, I'm so fucking sorry, Ralph...but please stay with me."

Ralph looked up at Jack, shocked, but eventually shook his head.

"I... I couldn't. I can't. Not after..."

Ralph paused, then sighed, "Not after what happened."

Jack froze. He was going to lose his sunshine, his pretty boy, his prince, his everything. Ralph was truly Jack's everything. How could he go on without Ralph.

"Ralph, please—" Jack reached his arms out to hold Ralph's; his were crossed and he looked almost terrified.

"Don't touch me," Ralph backed away.

Jack pulled back quickly and hung his head once more, giving a small hum in response.

"So, then, what happens now?" Jack asked after a few moments.

Ralph paused. As much as he hated to admit it, he still loved Jack; even if he made horrible decisions. Ralph looked at his hand while deep in thought. He spread out his fingers and looked at the spaces between them; these were the spaces that had belonged to Jack for countless moments of Ralph's time. Jack's fingers fit perfectly into these spaces. The two really did complete each other, even if their relationship was messy, awkward, annoying, and all together completely improbable. Ralph could barely remember life before Jack, and he didn't want to know a future without him, either; however, Ralph knew he needed time for himself. He needed a break from Jack and from mostly everyone. As a result, Ralph pushed down his guilt and pain and responded to Jack.

"We're on a break. We aren't together for at least a month. You will not touch me and you will not talk to me unless it is absolutely necessary."

Jack tensed up, his fists clenching, his blood running cold; however, he knew that gettin angry wouldn't solve anything, so he exhaled sharply and let go of the tension as best he could.

"Okay," he spoke.

They stood in a tense silence for a few moments before Jack walked to the door.

"B-Bye, Ralph," Jack said with an uncharacteristically shaky voice.

"Bye, Jack."

Ralph ran his hand through his golden hair as he watched his distraught love walk away from him.