Chapter 8

For a moment, all was still, and the only thing they did was stare.

Suddenly, Ralph pushed Jack away and jumped up off of the couch. His breathing quickened and he made various confused and angry noises.

"No, no, no, no, no," Ralph began to mutter as he ran his hands through his hair.

Jack stood up slowly and reached out, saying, "Ralph—"

"No!" Ralph stepped back, "I—I mean—augh!"

"Ralph, listen," Jack began.

Ralph turned to him and gave a nervous hum.

"You're freaking out. Just slow down. Look at me."

Jack grabbed Ralph's elbows and Ralph looked him in the eye.

"I'm here, now. This is now. Forget about the past, we'll talk about it later. You're here now and you're okay. You're not going to die and you're going to be here with me. Sound good?"

Ralph nodded. They stood there for a while as Ralph's breathing slowed. Jack had his forehead resting on Ralph's and his eyes were closed. Ralph stared forward.

"I'm sorry," he said softly.

"It's okay," Jack responded, lifting his forehead to meet Ralph's eyes with his own.

"Now what?" He asked.

Ralph thought for a moment. He knew they should talk about the kiss and their relationship, but he really didn't want to.

He averted his gaze.

"I guess we should... talk about what happened."

"Okay," Jack said, sitting back down on the couch. Ralph followed, but this time they were on completely opposite sides of it.

"So what's happening then?"

Ralph crossed his arms and thought for a moment. He wasn't too sure what he wanted anymore. He thought he wanted a break, but he also wanted Jack.

After a few minutes, he spoke again.

"One more week?"

Jack nodded, "Works for me."

Ralph smiled.

"Well, then, I guess... that's it for now?" He asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"I suppose so," Jack shrugged with a sad smile.

Ralph let out another conflicted hum.

"Is something the matter?"

Ralph looked up at Jack, "No, no, it's just..." he stuck his hand up, "I guess I'll miss you."

Jack snickered and placed a hand on Ralph's outstretched one, "Of course you will, and I'm going to miss you, too."

They both shared a smile before Ralph said, "Alright, well, I should probably get going now."

"Right, yeah. Uh, see you later, Ralph," Jack spoke.

Ralph walked out.

***

As Maurice and Roger we're sitting with the twins at Burger King, Maurice's
phone buzzed. He reached into his back pocket to find that he had gotten a text.

Golden bOi🌟: Yo my dude, I talked to Jack

"Hang on, guys," Maurice spoke with a mouthful of food, "I just got a text from Ralph."

"Ralph?"
"Is it about—"
"What you told us today?"

The twins, Samneric, stared at Maurice.