Chapter 7

As Maurice and Roger snickered and laughed heartily with the twins, Jack lay nervously on the apartment's couch. He lightly scratched at the wounds on his knuckles and caused them to sting. Only after a few minutes did he realize that it hurt and he hissed in pain.

"Fuck," Jack grimaced, moving his arms so they hung off the arm of the couch.

He let his mind wander off in his thoughts; now Ralph knew everything. What would he do about it, though? Would he actually help Jack or watch as he slowly-but-surely destroyed himself? Jack didn't really want an answer to that and instead wanted to push it off and away for as long as he could. Alas, though, it would be Ralph's choice when anything came to an end. He didn't know nor could predict what Ralph might do; his energy was much too low. After he yawned, the ginger considered taking a nap, but was suddenly pulled out of every one of his thoughts as he heard the doorbell ring.

Jack's breathing hitched and he sat up on the couch and stared at the door. Who could it be? Could it be... Ralph? No, he couldn't think of that. He'd get his hopes up. It wasn't going to be Ralph; however, when he finally opened the door, Ralph was just what he saw.

His eyes initially were met with a thick lock of blonde hair, but when he looked down, he recognized the boy in front of him.

"Ralph," Jack said, surprised so much that he was put into a trance-like state.

Ralph only crossed his arms and glared up into Jack's eyes. Instinctively, Jack stepped out of Ralph's way. This prompted him to break out of his trance as Ralph walked into what once was their shared apartment.

"I'm surprised, you've kept this place together pretty well," Ralph commented.

"Thanks," Jack responded quietly, seeming agitated.

Ralph cocked an eyebrow, then got to business.

"Alright, come on."

Jack let himself be dragged by the arm, but still questioned, "What? Where?"

"To the couch. You're going to sit there while I get the first aid stuff."

He scoffed back, responding with "I don't need help."

"Yes, you do," Ralph retorted, leaving the room to get the first aid kit. Jack averted his gaze to the floor as he tried to ignore the growing blush on his cheeks. He couldn't tell if he was embarrassed or crushing.

God, he hated his feelings.

"Okay, I'm back," Ralph sighed, then sat down next to Jack on the couch. He watched Jack scratch lightly at his wounds before moving Jack's hand away with his own.

"Don't do that."

Jack looked up and then away.

"Fine."

Ralph began patching up Jack's wounds, and Jack stared at him while he did so. He thought about all the times he had been with that blonde boy; most of his memories have at least a text from Ralph in them. He had known and had Ralph for so long, they had been through most everything together. Jack realized that he really did love Ralph. And that was that.

Ralph glanced up at Jack whilst he was staring, and the light blush on Jack's cheeks grew larger and his eyes widened slightly as he snapped his head to the side. This prompted Ralph to blush, and he fixed up Jack's last knuckle with a burning face.

As Jack mentally face palmed, Ralph physically face palmed, to which Jack responded, "What?"

Ralph looked up at him for a moment in a small astonishment. Then his face scrunched into a look of anger and he faced away from Jack.

"This! This is so stupid..."

"What do you mean?" Jack asked, scooting closer to Ralph as they faced forward on the couch.

"I shouldn't have come here," Ralph said, making Jack's heart drop, before continuing, "I wanted to get away from you for a month. I wanted to lose the stress of a relationship for a month. I should have stayed away for a month."

Ralph sighed and went on.

"But you needed me, and no matter what you could do, if you need me I just can't let myself desert you. But now that I'm here, I just..."

Ralph stared up into Jack's eyes and he moved closer to him.

"I can't stop thinking about the way things used to be, when you were mine and I was yours."

"Me neither," Jack replied, moving closer again, "But if you need time, we can stay on break."

Jack paused, continuing, "I hurt myself because I thought you didn't love me anymore. I was mad at myself for hurting you, so I wanted to punish myself. But if you still love me and you still want me, then I'll be fine."

Ralph averted his gaze.

"You don't know that, Jack," he sighed, "What if later you still want to hurt yourself?"

Jack shook his head, giving a small smile.

"I won't. I promise. And if I do, I'll call you."

Ralph stared up again and this time found that Jack was closer than before; he could see every detail in Jack's face. His blue eyes that were like an ice sculpture, carved to perfection. His freckles that were so very adorable and reminded Ralph of the stars, shining in a beautiful mass. His red hair that bounced and curled like the bonfires they used to have together.

Ralph scooted closer to Jack once again.

"Okay," Ralph whispered, practically onto Jack's lips. Jack nervously gulped at how close they were.

"So, then, you're... okay—" Jack stammered, but was cut off by a pair of lips on his own— Ralph's.

Jack stayed still, wide eyed. Ralph, stuck in a trance, kept his lips on Jack's, and thankfully, this gave Jack enough time to snap out of his shock and kiss Ralph back. When he did, Ralph moved his arms to lay them in Jack's shoulders. They stayed in that position until Ralph pulled away and they both opened their eyes.

For a moment, all was still, and the only thing they did was stare.