//mood

Cardan was already in a shit mood. The revel was well under way when his seneschal stumbled in. She was dressed in dark red silk, every inch clinging to the curves of her body. Around her eyes were thorns drawn in kohl, their appearance a mask of pain and darkness. Her lips were painted the same colour as her dress- a rich shade, like wine. Which incidentally, he was going to need more of, especially when Jude was looking like that.

She crossed the room, unaware of the heated glances sent her way- eyes dragging over her ass, breasts, the arch of her back. He clenched his goblet harder, his anger barely concealed. How dare  they-no. He couldn't think of her like that. Jude stopped before and bowed- court graces just for show, no one else knew the true nature of his rule; the fact she was the one in charge.

"Jude." Cardan greeted her, an icy edge in his voice. She blinked.

"My king." she replied, a smile plastered on her face, no real emotion shown there. Jude nodded to him and turned, merging into the mass of writhing bodies. A twinge felt in Cardan's chest as he watched her go. Pushing it down angrily, he snatched the goblet of a passing pixie and downed the contents, savouring the slow burn in his throat.

The revel spun on for hours, the dancing, drinking and sex blending into one great blur. He spied Jude a couple of times but she didn't approach him again. From his throne of thorns he watched impassively at his kingdom as they moved around his hall, talking and kissing in the dark alcoves littering the walls.

A figure in red moved in the corner of his eye. He dragged his gaze to them and blinked, his vision refocusing. Her chestnut hair cascaded over her silk dress, a corset top visible beneath. Cardan watched as she walked to the door and slipped out, leaving the revel. Before he knew what he was doing, he had followed, exiting the hall, unbeknownst to his faerie court.

He silently followed Jude through the halls until they came to her rooms. She slipped in and shut the door behind her. Cardan leaned against the wall, his head falling back, and loosed a shaky breath. What was he doing?  He shut his eyes, wishing he'd brought more wine, and slid down the wall so he was sitting on the stone floor, his head on his knees.