Chapter One // Can't Help But Love Her

Danny knew Y/N L/N as his next door neighbor. She was picture perfect, flawless even. But he'd never really had the guts to talk to her. In fact, most guys were intimidated by her demeanor. She was a bitch, even when she didn't mean to be. She was blunt and straight to the point. She'd tell you if she didn't like you and her E/C eyed stare could kill a man.

That could of been the main reason she was such an admirable person. Y/N wasn't popular though. She didn't hang with the A-Listers or make fun of kids like Danny for sport. She was as normal as they came, but different at the same time.

Danny sat at his usual table with Sam and Tucker during lunch. The sun rays kissed his pale skin as white clouds rolled across the blue evening sky. This week had been the most energy draining week ever. Danny had been fighting ghosts like crazy and hardly had a wink of sleep. But Danny was used to it by now.

It was all a part of his "Geek-To-Freak" routine. Even when he was fully human, he'd never had a normal life. His parents were ghost hunting maniacs and his sixteen year old too-big-of-a-brain sister was always interfering with his human and ghost fighting lifestyle.

That pretty much summed up his whole life story. Some days he felt like a character in a TV show. "Danny, are you okay?" One of his best friends Sam asked, taking a bite of her salad. Sam Manson was an eco-goth with the dark clothes and edgy personality to match. She was also a vegetarian and completely against animal cruelty.

"Yeah, you look a little bummed out on a Friday." His other best friend Tucker Foley added, staring at his phone screen. Tucker was the techno-geek of Amity Park. He had a love for technology and could fix any computer or other technical device with his eyes closed. And he was a polar opposite of Sam's personality.

The three of them had been friends since the second grade and were inseparable ever since. Danny couldn't ask for better friends. "This week has been so hectic. I don't even remember the last time I slept and I think I'm getting sleep deprived."

"I mean, it could be worse. At least Skulker hasn't been hunting you down as per-usual." Danny rolled his eyes at Tucker's response. Danny's blue eyes trailed around before spotting Y/N walking outside.

She had on her usual halter top and jeans. Her H/S H/C hair was pulled up into a ponytail at the top of her head with strands of hair framing the sides of her face. She didn't seem to notice Danny looking at her. "You have to talk to her someday or someone else is gonna make a move." Tucker spoke.

"The problem is I can't talk to her. She's just...I don't know how to explain it." Danny douches back down into his seat. Who could blame him for being so hopelessly in love with the girl next door. His cheeks flushed hot pink just thinking about her.

"Maybe the word you're thinking of is hot." Sam slapped Tucker upside the head.

"Stop it, Tucker! Not everybody thinks like you do. Besides, she's out of Danny's league. He has a better chance with Paulina."

Danny rolled his eyes. "I'm right here." He turned his head back to Y/N as she sat down at a table. For some reason, it was secluded from everybody else. He watched as she pulled her phone out before typing on the screen.

Then he saw Dash Baxter get up from his table, his eyes flashed green from jealousy before turning back to their natural ice blue.

Dash Baxter had been his bully since elementary school and was also his rival when it came to things with Paulina or in this case, Y/N. He was buff with blonde hair and blue eyes. And that didn't leave a whole lot of room for personality...or a brain.

Danny wasn't going to stand by and watch Dash flirt with her. "I'll be right back." He got up from the wooden bench and started towards her.

Danny peeked around the tree as Dash sat down beside Y/N. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "Hey, Y/N. Fancy seeing you here am I right?" Dash asked with flushed cheeks, rubbing the back of his neck.

"We're at school, Dash. Of course we're going to see each other every day." Y/N deadpanned. Danny watched her roll her eyes.

Darnny knew it was rude to eavesdrop on people, but he couldn't help it. Especially when he could turn intangible and not attract attention to himself. So that's what he did.

"I'm having a party this weekend and my parents are out out of town. So I was wondering if you'd want to come. It's gonna be great." Dash grinned, leaning against the table as Danny glared at him.

"I don't go to parties." Y/N replied, looking up at him through her lashes.

"I know...I just thought it'd be fun for—"

"For you to try and get me alone?" Y/N grabbed the milk carton from her tray and slowly poured it onto Dash's head of blonde hair. "No, thanks." She dumped the rest of her tray onto his lap and got up from her seat. "Now excuse me while I go puke my guts out." And soon Y/N was gone.

Danny couldn't help but snigger at the state Dash was in now. He turned tangible again and pressed a hand against his mouth to stifle his giggles.