Chapter Six // An Unexpected Visit

The winter formal was drawing closer and Danny still hadn't found out who he was going to ask to go with him. He was most certain he would go for Y/N. It seemed so ridiculous in his head, but he felt that they had a connection.

She seemed to enjoy his company and they had gotten to know each other. Danny probably knew Y/N better than she knew herself.

Sam, Tucker, and Danny were on their way to school, getting ready to say goodbye to autumn and say hello to frigid winter.

It was best they enjoyed it while it lasted. "I'm thinking of asking Y/N out to the dance." Danny blurted out as he stared at colorful leaves falling from the branches and onto the ground.

Tucker looked at Danny with a slight smirk. "That's a great idea, Danny, you should totally go for it."

"Thanks, Tucker." Danny said.

"She seems to really like you. But what are you going to do if you guys do start going out? How are you going to protect her as Danny Phantom and Danny Fenton?" Sam asked. The question frightened him. There was always the question: what if?

But girls never went for girls like Danny. He was a freak and most hated kid in Casper High. Why would Y/N want to go out with him?

Danny saw Y/N all alone at her locker, looking into the mirror hung inside the small cubbyhole.

He'd been waiting for a long time to finally talk to her. And soon he'd had after many years of just crushing on her from afar where she could not see him.

It was unfair that Dash got to talk to her all the time. Of course, he knew she hated Dash with a burning passion and the fault was all the stupid jock's.

Danny took a deep breath and began to walk towards her. He tried to seem somewhat nonchalant but he knew he wouldn't do a very good job of it.

"Hey, Y/N." Y/N turned her head and her E/C locked with his.

"Oh, hey, Danny. Do you need something?" She asked.

"No, I just wanted to talk. The winter formal is coming up and everything. I was sort of kind of wondering if you wanted to maybe go with me? I know it's kind of a long shot. You don't have to go with me."

Y/N's lips formed into a smile. "Sure. I'll go with you. It'll be fun. But I've gotta go. I'll see you later." Y/N gave him a small kiss on the cheek and then left.

Danny felt his cheeks burn and the butterflies hurt his stomach. That worked out way better than he thought it would.

When Y/N came home after school, there was a limousine parked, blocking the driveway. Both of her parents' vehicles were in the driveway, so they were definitely home.

She knew nobody in her neighborhood even owned a limousine. Whose else could it be? Y/N walked through the lawn and made her way up the porch. She grasped the doorknob in her hand and twisted.

A fit of laughter greeted her ears as she closed the door behind her. She walked into the kitchen where the smell of coffee wafted into the atmosphere. Her parents were gathered around the table with a man in a suit and tie. His long, graying hair was pulled into a low ponytail. She recognized him almost immediately.

"Mayor Masters?"

"Oh, hey, honey! The Mayor stopped by to tell us more about the banquet. He wanted to talk to you personally." Y/N's mother grinned.

She looked over at the mayor. "It is nice to finally meet you, Y/N. I've heard so many great things about you."

Y/N nodded. "Oh, uh, thanks." The mayor stood up from the chair and stuck his hand out for a greeting. Y/N took his hand and shook it firmly. "Thanks for inviting me to your...uh...banquet. It's tomorrow right?"

"Indeed. We were just discussing your arrival arrangements. It seems as though your parents may be busy and will not be able to transport you. So I took matters into my own hands. My chauffeur will pick you up and take you to the town hall. I'll be looking forward to seeing you there, dear." The mayor looked down at his wrist. "Look at the time. As much as I'd love to stay and chat, we have some last minute preparations for tomorrow that needed sorted out."

"Thank you for coming, Mayor Masters."

"Please, dear, call me Vlad. Mayor Masters is much too formal." Vlad said with a chuckle, "I shall see you then."

Then he disappeared outside.

Danny was walking home by himself when he saw Vlad walk out of Y/N's house. What was he doing here? Danny could feel his blood boil underneath his skin at the sight of him.

"Hello, Daniel..." Danny felt Vlad's dark gaze cast upon him while he gleamed with pride. He was smirking at him, taunting him with his lips.

"What are you doing here?" Danny glared as Vlad edged closer towards him.

"Ms. L/N sure is something, don't you think? Too bad she's a valuable asset. I suspect you know why I'm here. I just needed to make sure she was right where I wanted her. Manipulation is a powerful thing, isn't it, Daniel. She doesn't know who you are."

"Nobody knows who I am. And whatever it is you're planning, you leave her out of this."

Vlad laughed. "How quaint. Is this a case of forbidden love? The hero who wants to protect his damsel from monsters. But the girl doesn't know who you really are. Perhaps, if you were to tell her your identity, she'd run into your arms and ask you for a kiss. She is quite smitten with the Phantom side of you."

"What are you talking about?"

"I have eyes everywhere. I saw the way she looked at you when you gave her the bracelet after saving her from Skulker. How pathetic you were, afraid she'd reject your invitation to the movies. So I came up with this plan. You and your friends are all pawns in my game. And I will continue to play this game until I win. I will have Y/N and she will destroy you. If not for me, then for herself. Because once she finds out you lied about who you really are, she'll never want to spread to you again. I shall make it so. There's nothing you can do about it." Vlad placed his hand on Danny's shoulder. The touch sent painful sparks through the ghost boy's entire being.

Danny let out a scream of agony and sunk to his knees. His breaths became harsh until his head smacked against the grass.

"Goodbye, Daniel. And say goodbye to your princess." Vlad walked back to his limousine and slid inside. The chauffeur drove past Danny's pained body.

If he wanted to a war, Danny was going to bring the fight to him.