Chapter 2: The Goblet of Fire

Neither of the girls were very surprised when Dumbledore announced that after they had feasted, there would be a special announcement. Most of their classmates spoke of nothing else throughout the entire feast, though neither Beth or Celia really spoke to their classmates.

The girls were both in Slytherin. Celia had never revealed to Beth why she had been placed there, or perhaps the sorting hat simply hadn't told her. Beth, however, remembered it as though it happened only yesterday. Under the watchful eyes of hundreds of students, she had sat down on the stool. The hat was so big on her it had covered the top of her eyes and she heard it's voice inside her own head.

"A Gryffindor through and through,

But where shall I put you?

Elisabeth has a role to play,

For the story may only end in one way.

Remember my words carefully.

You will create your own destiny."

Afterwards, the sorting hat had shouted 'Slytherin!' and no one in the great hall had been surprised. Amadeus Batley had been one of the students Salazar Slytherin had handpicked to attend Hogwarts. Since then, there hadn't been any Batley that had not been sorted into his house. 

As far as Beth could tell, she had been the only person the sorting hat had said a rhyme to. The older students she asked just looked at her weirdly. So much so that she eventually came to meet Celia Devlin, the girl surrounded by scandals. 

"Students, a new year is upon us." Dumbledore started his speech. The tables were cleared of any leftovers, and the Great Hall seemed to be unnaturally quiet. Every single student was on the edge of their seat.

"Every year, each house uses their knowledge, kindness and talents to secure as many house points as you can. At the end of your year, we dine underneath the colours of the winning house. This year, we offer something else."

Dumbledore was a master at giving speeches, he knew exactly when to let a long pause happen. Even the infamous duo of Potter and Black seemed to be listening intently. Something they rarely did. 

"Eternal glory." He said, in nothing more than a whisper, though the entire Great Hall could hear it. "The honour to fight for your house and in the end win," Dumbledore took a few steps black and tugged at the end of a white sheet, that had been placed over the cup.

The cup was gold and had a large red ruby, a green emerald, a blue sapphire and a yellow citrine laid into it. There was a silver snake twisted around the bottom, chasing after a bronze raven. The golden Lion had been bewitched to run around the cup, always following the black badger. The cup had also been filled to the brim with both gold coins and diamonds, it was practically overflowing with it. 

"The Hogwarts Wizardry Cup," Dumbledore said, giving the students the time to get a proper look at it. "For many years Hogwarts hosted a competition between the four houses. Later this turned into the infamous Triwizard Tournament. From first years to last years, everyone is allowed to enter their name into," He pulled on a second sheet. 

The goblet of fire was larger than the cup. The flames licked the edges of the wooden cup, though Dumbledore did not seem to get burned by it. "The Goblet of Fire will serve as an impartial judge. He will find the students most worthy, these champions will represent their house."

"Do not enter your name lightly," Dumbledore warned. "As a first year, you must feel confident enough in your capabilities in magic to be able to take on a seventh-year student. People have gotten injured, even killed, in this tournament. Even though we have taken every precaution to ensure no harm will befall any of you, do not enter your name, if you are not ready to fight."