Chapter 14: The Last Week

The last week and a half before the task was an absolute madhouse. So far there had been no leaks of the alliances, neither on the Gryffindor-Slytherin or the Ravenclaw-Hufflepuff front. Kaeley often send wicked smiles Beth's way, having absolutely no idea that she knew about her little secret. 

Beth and Sirius met up in the corner of the library every day. She had been right, he was brilliant in hexing and jinxing, but he did not have an aptitude for potions. It was fine though, that was what Beth had been studying non-stop.

"I wonder how they'll put us in though." Beth finally said, during their final study session before the task. All of the champions had been excused from all homework in the last week. They had spend all of their time strategizing, picking apart the rhyme and practising potions and hexes. 

"I'm hoping they just drop all of us in a room." Sirius leaned back in his chair. "Probably won't though."

"If we have to pick the right doors then presumably we have to find something." Beth answered. "So they could drop all of us in different rooms." They fell silent for a few moments, a giant ass elephant had just walked into the room. "Do we try to find each other?"

Sirius thought about it for a few moments, weighing his options. Beth had proven herself to be more than useful, and definitely above the level he was at in his third year. Still, it was a competition, and there could only be one winner. 

"We don't." He decided. "If we run into each other we work together, but don't go out of your way. Beating them is more important."

Slytherin and Gryffindor had been feuding since the start of their houses, nearly a millennium ago. Both wanted to be on top, to prove that either bravery or ambition could get you there. It had never even occurred that Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw wanted in on that fight. But now that they were, with a huge advantage as well, the two houses finally managed to agree on one thing: that could never happen.

 Beth had definitely warmed up to Sirius, though Lauren's thoughts on him seemed to have crept her way into Beth's brain. 'He's a blood traitor,'  she had said. 'He'd betray his own family, why wouldn't he betray you?'

Why wouldn't Sirius betray Beth? Well, she had the enchanted parchment for one, though he did not know what kind of curse would come over him if he betrayed her. Beth also did not care that much about blood purity, and she could definitely understand the pains of having a family that did care. 

"Earth to Beth?" Sirius said, waving his hand in front of her face. 

"Right." She snapped back to reality. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

"I asked if you were nervous," he laughed. "I think I already have my answer though."

She laughed sheepishly at him. "Nervous is an understatement." She said. "My father will kill me if I mess things up tomorrow."

Any time she brought up the subject of family, he'd shut down. It was understandable though, clearly the Black's weren't overly fond of their son that had stopped the 'always in Slytherin' lineage. Beth couldn't even imagine what her father would do or say to her if she had to tell him what the sorting hat had told her. 

That night though, a black owl pecked against the library's window. Sirius had left her only a few moments ago, it was as though the creature had been informed to only give her the letter in private. Beth quickly opened the window and allowed the owl in, but it merely showed her it's claw, and set off once she had grabbed the letter. 

She was not very surprised to see her father's handwriting.