Chapter 3: Allegiance

This chapter (and future ones too) feature letters in the character's handwriting. If you can't see the photo for some reason you can look at the comments, I pasted the text there too! 

For a school that usually favours chaos, the entering of names went surprisingly organized. The goblet of fire had been moved to the study hall, where in a neat line the students one by one tossed in a small piece of parchment with their name on it. 

Eternal glory, that surely motivated the Slytherins. Where Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw both had students that did not enter their name, Slytherin and Gryffindor could not relate. Whether it was the millennium-long feud between the two houses, or the fact that the tournament would be an easy place to show one's bravery, every single Gryffindor entered his or her name into the goblet.

For the first time in a long time, the Slytherins did not care about the actions of the Gryffindors. They did not care about the actions of other Slytherins. For most, if not all, of them it was their family's pride which was at stake. The ability to say that their son or daughter was the most worthy in their house was one thing, the thought of them winning was especially attractive. 

Beth was in her third year at Hogwarts. So far she had found most subjects to be easy, with the exception of herbology, and just skated by. Celia was exceptionally smart and did not even bother with learning most of the time. 

Beth watched as her best friend stepped forward, shrugging some of her auburn hair out of the way and standing on her tip-toes to reach the goblet. The flames swallowed the parchment, and Celia quickly stepped aside so that Beth could do the same thing. 

Please, let it be me. She thought as she tossed the parchment into the blue flames. Even with her just being in her third year, she would be honoured enough to just be able to compete. Her father might actually be proud of her for once. She had to enter. 

The two girls stepped aside and for a few moments watched other students enter as well. The air in the room was incredibly tense. No one spoke, not even in hushed whispers. 

♜♛♜

They would not find out who was chosen until Friday, but the entire school had been speculating. There were some favourites for Gryffindor that Beth knew of, like James Potter or Lily Evans. But the Slytherins all stayed quiet about it. 

A familiar black owl swooped down at breakfast on Thursday and landed softly on the table in front of Beth. "Hello Eli." she greeted the owl, giving it a quick scratch on the head before removing the letter. Celia pretended to be busy reading the Daily Prophet, while Beth started reading her fathers letter.

 Celia pretended to be busy reading the Daily Prophet, while Beth started reading her fathers letter

Beth read the letter over a thousand times. She did not even know who he was faithful to, how was she supposed to know who she should follow? Her father and she had purposely been quiet about their feelings towards You-Know-Who. So quiet, that she did not even know herself.