Washington DC

ALEJA

"It was out of my hand. I couldn't...", Olivia started to say.

-"Enough! We both know you could if you wanted to. Don't disrespects us both.", I said.

Olivia looked trough the windows at her office.

I looked at Quinn.

-"Every file you have on the case, mail it to Rebecca. We'll take it from here."

"But, maa'm, we worked hard at it and really want to finish it", Quinn pleaded.

I looked at her and she inmediatelly looked at her laptop and started typing.

There was a silence for couple of minutes, then Olivia broke it.

"I can't fight it anymore, Ale. I just can't".

I felt my chest tighten at the same time Wall and Quinn started to leave the room. I waited until the door closed behind them.

-"He is going to be the death of you. And sometimes, in our bussiness, that can mean litteraly."

"I know. But I can't. I just can't. Seven days ago, I had a meeting with Putin. I kicked his ass, left him speachless. I felt like the most important person in the world. Then, two hours later Fitz invited me in his house in Vermont. We had sex.... Then I felt like the biggest scum ever. Lying next to him all I could think about was that Mellie was waiting for him at the house and that he would spend the night with her. His real woman. His wife."

Shit.

I reached across the table and took her hand.

-"Honey, I dont know what to say. I know it's hard, but you gotta snap out of it. Think about yourself for a change. Don't let him destroy you. And he will, you know. Destroy you. Olivia, he loves you. I know that and I know you know it. But he's too weak. To weak for a man and way to weak for a woman like you. You deserve better."

And she did.

"I started seeing someone.", she said.

That startled me.

-"What?", I asked shocked.

"Jake Ballard."

What the hell?

-"Jake Ballard, the head of NSA, Jake Ballard? Tack Kane Allen's brother Jake Ballard?"

"Yes, that Jake.", she said.

That threw me. Jake Ballard is a former marine, very respected and loved in DC, now head of NSA. Also, it's known he's younger brother of the biggest shark in Denver, Tack Allen. It's also known they are not close. To say at least.

-"How the hell that happened?", I asked her.

She stood up from her chair and went to the windows.

"I don't even know. It... it just did.", she said to the street.

-"That's good, darling. Very good. Give him a chance. He is a good man. You know about his past, but deep down he's good. Good for you."

"Yeah, I decide to give him a chance." She turned to me and came sit in the chair next to mine.

"Speaking of that...", she started.

-Don't. I know. Rush Allen". Shit, I knew she would bring it up.

"Yes! What is up with that? Every news and online sites are saying that you're together. It makes sence, since  I just saw a picture of you two outside his club, and if his tounge was any more in your mouth, you would be probably strangled"

Papparazis did their job.

-"Let's just say that we have bussiness to attend together.", I said.

Olivia looked in my eyes for couple of moments, pensive then said:

"You know, I thought about it when I heard the news. I know Rush Allen in person. Somehow, you two fit."

I decided the ignore once again that feeling in my chest.

-"Like I said, it's just bussiness."

"What kind of bussiness requires his tongue in your mouth?", she asked.

-"You know I can't talk about that. Just leave it at that."

She looked at me for couple of minutes with determined look at her face but sighed when she saw I wouldn't tell anything.

"Fine. Just be careful."

I smiled.

-"When wasn't I careful with my job?", I asked.

"I'm not talking about the job. Be careful with Allen."

The smile died on my face and I turned my head towards her windows and she took my clue when she changed the subject.

"How are my girls? Tell me, is there something new? Has Elena decided which college she wants?

-"Yes, actually, she's planning on going to Harvard and Caltech"

"Both of them?", Livvie asked shocked.

-"I was shocked too. My girl always had a thing for science and I expected somenting in that field. When she said she wants to go to Harvard as well, I was afraid she was doing that just because of me. But when I talked with her, I genuinely got the impression she wants to do both things. So I'm good with that."

Livvie's face softened and she smiled at me. She honestly loved my girls like her own.

Olivia and I were best friend since high school. We went into elite private school and since day one, we were outsiders. Me, because I was a poor latino kid there on a scholarship, she because she was few of the black kids, even though she was rich. We conected back then and never lost that connection. For me, she was my sister.

Livvie stood up from her chair and I followed.

"Wanna go for lunch?"

-"No, darlin', I going to have some rest then I'm dealing with this thing."

"You're at your place here or hotel?"

-"My place, I already called them to prepare the house."

"Then I coming over tonight for dinner", Olivia said and in the middle of her talking my phone ringed.

It said "Cole Allen calling"

Once again, I ignored that feeling and now the tingles of expecting to hear his voice.

I picked up call.

-"Mr Allen, have you arrived?" I asked and when Livvie heard his name, she gave me big eyes and even bigger smile. I just glared at her.

"I'm at the house you texted me. Where are you?", Cole said.

Damn, those tingles.

-"Yes, that's my house. I'll be there in 20". 

"Good", he said in low gravelly voice and those tingles went into overdrive. "See you then". Then he disconected.

I put the phone back in my purse. When I looked up, Livvie was staring at me.

-"What?", I asked.

"He is here? Like here, in DC? In your house?"

-"Please, don't ask. Just show up at dinner tonight.", I said, sighing.

"Oh, I wouldn't missed it for the world", she said with a huge, wicked smile.

Good. Because, with all the honesty, I don't trust myself to be alone with Cole Allen.