The Aftermath

Twelve years later

"Uncle Zach, why is it that you're the only male allowed in the Hunt other than Uncle Nico?" a little girl asked.

"I'm not allowed in. But your mom allows me to come around to pay respects to your dad. He was my brother. I knew him for only about two months before he died," Zach said.

"Oh. Mommy still gets sad every time she walks past his tent."

"I'm sure she is Phoebe. He was the only man to get her love. He was a good man. Saved me from a terrible fate, as well as rescued Annabeth. While she can't be cured of whatever they did to her, he never forgot about her and couldn't leave her behind."

"Mommy used to tell me Daddy is just sleeping. He looks so pretty just resting. But if he's just sleeping...when will he wake up?" Phoebe questioned innocently.

"Umm, I don't know sweetie. He's been like that for twelve years now. Not even your Uncle Apollo can heal him. I don't know what else to tell you."

"Phoebe! Phoebe Selina Jackson! Where did you run off to?" Artemis' voice came from outside the tent.

"I'm in here with Uncle Zach looking at Daddy!" she called out.

Artemis swept into the tent and looked down at the glass case that held a body. A small gold plaque at the bottom was inscribed with: "The greatest hero to walk the Earth. He fought the hard fight and saved those he loved. He paid the ultimate price to bring peace to us all." A tear leaked down from the side of her left and she grabbed Phoebe's arm. "I guess now's as good a time as any to tell you everything about your father."

Phoebe's eyes lit up with excitement. Any information about her daddy made her feel strong. Some of Hunters told her stories of him. And whenever they visited either the Greek or Roman camps, some of the older demigods would tell her more stories of when he was younger. Her favorite person to listen to was the satyr, Grover, who was part of the Council of Cloven Elders. He told her stories of when her daddy was the age she was now. He always stopped work whenever he heard the Hunters of Artemis had arrived to camp just to talk to her.

"Alright. Well, the truth is. We say your dad is sleeping. Everyone knows he's dead. But...he's not dead."