2.3

Quick notification! I'll be posting a slightly shorter chapter due to final projects for classes in the upcoming weeks, so to make up to y'all, I'll be having another Q/A! You can ask any characters from this arc (and the past arc) questions, and these questions will be answered after next week's chapter!  Just comment here or at the end of the chapter, and your question might be included in the Q/A section! 

Anyway, onwards with the story!

=

"It brings me great honor today to be in front of so many amazing Jinzhouans as your Unit Commander," Lau says at dinner. He was delivering the first pep-up speech of many, but his attempts at inspiration were applaudable. Shi Zixin watched him from behind among the other generals, trying not to roll her eyes. The rowdy soldiers at the common tables cheered boorishly as Lau waited for his opportunity to speak again.

"I'll admit, this war will not be easy. We know that Shaolian has more land than us and has professionally trained soldiers," Lau solemnly notes. "But," his voice swells to enrapture his audience, "those pigs have lazed around for the past two decades off honest farmers by taking ruthless subsidies! Those farmers were once part of Jinzhou, but Shaolian took our land almost a century ago! We will not let any more years pass where our righteous land is held away from us!"

The men seated in their tables banged their fists into the wooden tables as the generals politely applauded, each stoic face hiding their own brewing storm of emotions. Shi Zixin bit back her tongue and a laugh.

Claiming land has always been a problem, hasn't it? If it wasn't for my system's goal, I would've been long gone and completely uninvolved with this war.

"So rise with me! Training begins at dawn tomorrow with the dawn of a new era!" Lau's voice rises above the sea of cheers. The tent posts seemed to rattle with the tenors and vibrations of everyone's voices. The wives of some men ushered out with bowls of meager soup, quickly ladling a small portion into each bowl. 

The men were so high on adrenaline to not notice how bland the soup was, but soon enough they'd realize the cruel reality of war rations.

Shi Zixin sipped coolly on her soup as she watched the generals converse among themselves. Over the past two months, she had increased her training regimen to keep up with the others. The skill pills helped out a lot, and she was able to take on and defeat the surprisingly nimble General Liu. 

And now, war was just a stone throw away.

The preparation over the coming weeks gave Shi Zixin an almost 'training montage' from Hollywood films feel. After having trained heavily before, everything quickly passed by in a blur. The new recruits she was given were quite dull, as if U.C Lau doubted her ability as an instructor. However, she polished away their rough edges and made them some of the top soldiers in the camp, her group nicknamed "Brigade A" by the other soldiers when seen training.  All of her soldiers were field men, taught how to wield a sword like a pro and also use it on horseback. She didn't have time to teach them strategies, but when she was sent out with her brigade she could teach them the basics.

Two weeks before the first battle, the generals' meeting occurred.

"I have calculated who has who in their flanks," U.C Lau starts. "General Wu, you will be heading to the South-Western at the end of the Guryo village. General Yao, you will be slightly North of him by 50 miles near the border. There's a 30-mile gap between Guryo and the Ure village, so after you overtake Ure, ride South and assist in taking over the Guryo."

Shi Zixin's brows furrow slightly. It was certainly a good idea to circle the countryside and the ports before moving to the capital, but there was not enough of a majority yet to overtake the popular fishing village yet; especially with the snow beginning to thaw down south. If the soldiers attempted to control the fishery by killing off the fish, they'd poison the water and everyone would die of dehydration, making it a lose-lose.