Maybe

A.N: The above song is the song that Peter is singing.

Peter Parker sighed as he stared longingly out of the orphanages window, a familiar melody playing in his head and on his tongue.

Maybe far away,

Pepper Stark smiled sadly at her husband, Tony as they sat in the living room at the Avengers Compound.

Or maybe real nearby,

"We'll find him Tony. We have to."

He may be pouring her coffee,

Tony drained his cup of coffee. "This is the last orphanage around, what if he's not there?"

She may be straightening his tie.

"Come here," Pepper said, pulling Tony's tie straight. "We're going to find him, don't think like that."

Maybe in a house, all hidden by a hill.

The well-known duo climbed into Tony's red and blue Audi A8, beginning the journey to Queens Orphanage.

She's sitting playing piano,

The other children were playing downstairs, Peter could head the off-key piano being forced to endure endless torture.

He's sitting paying a bill.

Peter ignored the pile of homework on his bed. There was a time for work and a time for contemplating his existing through song.

Betcha they're young, betcha they're smart.

Maybe Peter got his intelligence from his mom. Whoever she was.

Bet they collect things like ashtrays and art.

Tony squeezed Pepper's hand.

Betcha they're good, why shouldn't they be?

"It's going to be okay, Pep."

They're one mistake, was giving up me...

Peter let out a shuddering breath, his hand reaching for the locket he wore around his neck. It was half of a heart, Peter could only hope that his parents had the other half.

So maybe now it's time,

Pepper squeezed the necklace that hung from her neck.

Or maybe when I wake,

Peter curled up on top of his bed, informing the waterfall of tears that cascaded down his face.

They'll be there calling me baby.

Tony stopped the car outside the orphanage,"please God, let him be here."

Maybe...

"Ready?" "Ready."

Betcha he reads, betcha she sews.

The young couple stepped inside the building, attempting to stay calm.

Maybe she's made me a closet of clothes

"We're looking for our son."

Maybe they're strict, straight as a line.

"He'd be about fifteen now? He's called Peter."

Don't really care as long as they're mine.

"There's a boy called Peter here, he's fifteen."

So maybe now this prayer,

Pepper and Tony's eyes widened, "can we - can we see him?"

The last one of its kind...

Peter heard the matron call his name and went downstairs.

Won't you please come get your "Baby"?

"Peter?" Peter glanced between the two adults, realisation dawning on his face.

Maybe...

"Mom? Dad?"

"Hey kiddo, we're back now."

"And we'll never let you go again."

Me in the background: betcha I'm young, betcha I'm smart, bet I'm not cultured enough to collect ashtrays and art