chapter 36

Casey POV:

"Darren." I called as I entered his apartment. 

Everything was quiet; which was unusual because Darren usually always came to greet me when I came. I threw the keys he gave me onto the counter and made my way to his bedroom but froze at the sight in front of me. A beautiful pale girl was lying in the bed, shirtless, covered in hickeys with my boyfriend on top of her, his hair messed up and marks of lipstick on his neck, kissing her hungrily.

I stared at them for a couple seconds, unable to believe what was happening before running to the bathroom and locking the door with shaking hands. A choked sob came out of my mouth, and that's when the tears began. I cried sitting on the cold floor with my back pressed against the door. Darren must have seen or heard me because I heard a soft knock on the bathroom door.

"Casey" he said softly as he tried to open the door.
"Go away" I answered sobbing, tears still falling from my eyes.
"Please, just let me explain" he said desperately.
"Explain what? Explain how you were making out with someone else while you thought I wasn't home?" My words came out more bitter than I expected, but it didn't matter.
"If you say it like that it sounds worse..." he mumbled.
"How could it sound worse." I chocked.
"I'm so sorry. I'm such an idiot" he said.
I sighed and opened the door.
"It's fine". I replied in a dull tone.

He looked at me, confusion in his eyes. I made my way to his room and he followed slowly behind. I started taking all my clothes that I left here out of his closet while Darren stared at me carefully from the door, still not understanding.

"Didn't you just say it was fine?" he asked quietly, almost afraid.
"It is. I mean I kind of expected this from the beginning"
"What do you mean? Aren't you mad?"
I stopped organizing my things in the suitcase and sighed.
"When I was little, I always heard my aunt cry about her husband cheating on her, she'd talk to my mom about how 'every man is the same', I thought noting of it but turns out she was right, every man is the same."
"Casey I didn't mean to, I'm so sor-"
"I haven't finished" I interrupted him "That's why I was so afraid of love when we first met. My aunt would often tell me 'Y/N don't fall in love, just concentrate on your studies and become independent'. Remember how you used to complain about me not being expressive with you? How I'd always tell you I was busy to avoid you? I was afraid I was going to fall for you, and I did" I  closed my eyes as more tears rolled down my cheek "And I'm not mad I'm just hurt, and disappointed, because I thought you weren't like that"
"I'm sorry; I don't know what I was thinking. It all just happened in the blink of an eye" he said looking into my eyes, "But please don't leave, I'll keep some distance if you want, trust me" he begged.
"The last thing I can do right now is trust you Dar" you said carefully.
"Why?" he seemed like a confused little kid.
"Because you just smashed all the trust we have been building up these past years the moment I entered your room" I explained closing my eyes.
"But it's not like I've been with other girls, other times"
"THAT'S EXACTLY THE PROBLEM. I'm sorry for screaming, what I mean is, I have no way of knowing if this was the first time you cheated on me, you may have been doing it since we started going out..."
He looked down, guilty. "I understand, but please listen to me: this is the first time something like this happens"
"And I want to believe you, I really do Darren, but I can't let myself get hurt again." I explained tearfully as I fastened the bag.
"What?" HE asked, once again confused.
"Goodbye Darren." I whispered and kissed him one last time.
"Casey, please." He begged but I just left and ignored him