Six

Year 146

Sondor was doing his morning rounds, when he saw that girl on the roof again. The sun was starting to rise again, rising slowly and lazily from behind the Gray Mountains. Kira's dulled golden hair shone in the sunlight as she sat, perched on the edge of the roof. Soaking in the sun. Her golden hair had lost its glow, now dulled to a dirty gold. It was almost sad. That girl had lost so much. And she was just standing there, on the roof. Watching the sun. Most people weren't up this early, especially not young children.

"Good morning!" he called to the kid.

She looked down at him, red-brown eyes flashing, ready to snap. When she saw it was just him, she relaxed a little. "Good morning." She greeted him, standing up. "Hey Sondor."

Sondor smiled warmly. "Heya Kira. You and Lee doing alright?"

"...Yeah." she said slowly. "I mean, as fine as we can be. What about it-"

He cut her off. "Talk to me after finish my morning rounds. I can meet you here a little after the suns fully up. Or meet me at my place."

Kira stared at him, taking a moment to process it. "Thank you." The girl smiled gratefully. "I want to talk to you about the flyer you gave me."

"Sure kid." He said, then continued on his way.

-

"Where are you going?" Lee asked her sister suspiciously, noticing Kira pace in front of the door.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"
Lee frowned at her. "You know, you're supposed to let Mrs. Armitage when you're going out."

"Let her know for me, okay?" Kira called, already shutting the door.

"Kira wait-"

She was too late to stop her.

-

The shop Sondor told Kira too meet him at was one she had been to before. it was small and a little run down, but it was considered a hidden gem by the neighborhood's locals. Sondor waited outside with a large bag slung over his shoulder, probably filled with papers. In his hands he clutched two hot bags of something sweet-smelling.

"Hey," he greeted her. "Gotcha something." Sondor held out the bag.

Kira looked at it, then at Sondor. Finding the gesture almost strange. "Hi." She said. "You wanted to meet here?"

"Aren't you gonna look at it?" Sondor mused, opening his bag.

"What?" Kira asked.

"You gonna eat it?" He said again between a bite, pointing at Kira. "Spent my own money on that you know."

Kira muttered something under her breath, but opened the bag. Then stopped, letting the heat and sweet scent escape the bag.

"You like it?" Sondor grinned knowingly.

Kira looked up at Sondor, then back at the bag. "Yeah," She said, grinning softly. "Thanks a lot."

Inside was a fresh poundcake.

-

After enjoying their brief snack, Sondor took Kira inside to his apartment. As soon as she stepped inside, Kira noticed something. 

The apartment was nice. Very nice. Much better than any room in the orphanage. There was a garden in the back, with many flowers and vines simply thriving. The inside was a little small and cozy, but it felt lived it. It was just so pleasant, with the comfy couch and sweet smelling food. There was an air of happiness that seemed to fill the rooms. It wrapped her up in a feeling she couldn't name. But it still felt so familiar-