Ten

Year 146

Auralee led Serenity down several brick streets, all of which were unfamiliar. They seemed to be headed to another neighborhood, towards the colour sectors. Dingy looking water pooling on the edges of the ally. Despite Serenity being much taller than her, she had to push herself to keep up. "Where are we headed?" She asked, walking briskly.

"We're almost there." Auralee replied uninterestedly, not looking over her shoulder. It wasn't an answer.

She tried a different question. "Why did Kira storm out?"

Auralee paused for a second. "I don't really know."

"Then can you tell me what you know?" Serenity asked, wanting to put the pieces together.

"If I want to." She continued walking.

"wait-" Serenity jogged to catch up. "Did something happen to make Kira so upset-?"

Auralee groaned, stopping suddenly in her tracks. She whirled on Serenity, looking her right in the eye. "Kira, doesn't understand how the world works. She keeps trying, and trying, to find answers where she shouldn't. And now everything's finally getting to her. Because stupid, stupid Kira can't lose anyone else."

Serenity blinked, taking in what the girl said. "Have you... lost a lot of people?" She asked slowly, the gears in her head turning rapidly. Kira had lost somebody...someone other than her parents. Was this her colourless friend?

"I'm an orphan." Lee replied, turning on the balls of her feet. "What do you think?"

-

They found Kira outside the cemetery, wandering near the entrance as if in a trance. "KIRA!" Auralee cried, nearly tackling her sister. "Where in Aurora were you? You were gone for so long! Mrs. Armitage is so worried you need to come back now!"

Kira groaned, trying to pry Auralee off of her. "Lee? Get off me right now! I swear on the councils name-"

"Don't storm off again for another stupid reason!" Lee snapped, gripping her sister tighter. "Don't be stupid!"

"I..."Kira sighed, letting herself melt into the hug. "Took you long enough," She said, a small content smile resting on her face. She hugged her sister back, letting Lee rest in the crook of her neck. Only Serenity saw that her hands were shaking. She stood back and watched, letting the sister's have their moment.

"Come on," Lee said, pulling Kira up. "We have to go."

"Yeah yeah, okay wait, just be patient-" Kira stopped, finally noticing Serenity. "...So you're here too?" She asked in a small voice.

"Yes." Serenity replied, looking her in the eye.

"What a party, I didn't think you had it in you." She said melodramatically. "Coming to look for someone, who isn't even lost. I'm shocked, Ren. So suspicious."

Serenity glared. "Don't call me Ren."

Kira frowned, meeting the older girls gaze. "...You found something," She said finally.

"Yes," Serenity nodded. "I need to talk to you."

Their eyes met, and something flickered in Kira's eyes. Curiosity? Maybe, but with something more underneath. "Lee," Kira said, eyes clearing as she looked at her sister. "Tell Mrs. Armitage I'll be home tomorrow, okay?"

"What?" Lee demanded, pulling on her sleeve. "No, You need to come home!"

"I know," Kira said, returning her look. "But I need to talk to Serenity."