Chapter Two

Blackened

The morning seemed less bright than others before it. The sun that lay on your waking face not as warm as usual. Links arm hugs you tightly into his chest, as if he was trying to make up for the suns coolness. His warm breath falls down your neck as he sleeps.
Yesterday the children ran off into the Woods. Talo made it all the way to where you were found by Rusl. Link had to go rescue and retrieve him. You have regret in your heart, you feel weak. Link didn't need your help, he is strong and brave, but, you weren't even there if maybe he did. The world is a big unknown place to you both. And, one certainly cannot face it alone.

Your hand raises to find his as you clutch his fingers and nudge him with your elbow gently. You hear him suck in a breath and raise his head slightly. "It's your day today" you turn onto your back and smile up at him "you better get up and get Epona ready" Link hesitates to speak. He looks down at you and examines your figure.
"I'll miss waking up to you" he admits. You feel a warm airy feeling in your chest when he says this.
"You'll only be gone but a day or two" you remind him "and I will be here" Link does not break his gaze into your eyes. His blue eyes lighter than usual because of the reflection of the morning sun. His frame slowly lowers to yours, subtly you don't even notice at first.
"You've become part of the routine. I wake up and I smell you. We get up and I watch you cook. We leave and I hug you goodbye. I watch you fish with Ilia. How you listen to Beth's gossip. You love Epona, and even the sheep. This little town isn't much, but it's never boring with you here" his face is so close you feel his break on your lips now. Your eyes never once breaking contact.
"What's gotten into you, Link?" You ask with cheeks as red as Epona's fur.
"___, I—"
"HEYYY!!" Yells Fado from below. This was yours and Links usual start of the morning. Herding his goats as your day barely begins "Link! Where's Epona!?" Both yours and Links eyebrows furrow in confusion. Link jumps out of bed with you not far behind. He throws in his shirt as he runs out the door, but still takes a moment to make sure it doesn't slam in your face. You thank him with a nod as you run ahead of him.
"What do you mean?" You asked as you jump down the ladder. Sure enough the horse was gone.
"Link you should go find her to make sure she's okay!" Fado insisted. Link nodded in agreement. You both glance at each other and head to the spring, you both figure Fado would have seen Epona enter the village. You just hope no one took her past the gates to the woods.
After digging a short distance you see Ilia washing Epona in the spring. The gates to the spring were locked. She notices Link run up to the gates excited, but she does not share the same amusement.
"You!" She yells angrily "you hurt her! You pushed her too hard!" Both you and Link share a look of confusion, before Link looks down in shame.
"Is that true, Link?" You ask "is she hurt?" Link does not answer. You sigh and turn to Ilia "Link needs Epona today Ilia, he needs to deliver something to the Royal Family"
"Epona is hurt! He has been pushing her too hard for no reason!" She exclaims glaring at Link harshly. Link looks down even further.
"No you don't understand" you protest "the kids, they ran off into the Woods yesterday, Link had to go save them. He was not being tough on her." Ilia looks up for confirmation from Link. Links eyes meet hers for once and he nods. She sighs heavily.
"Epona has feelings too." She says as she makes her way over to undo the knot locking you both out. "I hate to see her in anything less than the best condition"
"We appreciate that, Ilia, really." You insist "thank you for your kindness" Ilia nods and looks up at Link.
"I hope you return safely, Link. Just like Epona don't push yourself too hard either" she smiles softly at you "I'm glad you'll be there to protect him at least" you hesitate for a moment. Link does not correct her. And, before you can she turns and says he goodbyes. Both you and Link walk to Epona. He grabs her lead rope and ushers you out of the Springs. You reach the locked gates you and Link once climbed over as children. Link breaks the lock then slowly turns to you.
"___, before I go I have to say something" he says with a deep breath. You shake your head and he stops his next sentence.
"Let me come" you replied "you shouldn't have to do this alone" Links eyes lit up with excitement. Without protest he mounts Epona then reaches a hand down for you to grab and climb on with. You wrap your hands around his waste and rest your head on his back as he gallops ahead.
"___" Link begins after a moment. You now enter the part of the Woods you and Link went to as kids. You lifted your head in order to hear what he has to say "I just warn you. Those things from before, they are still here"
"I know" you acknowledged
"You do not have to come if you do not wish" he reminded you.
"I know" you repeated. Without further words you both carry on. Not far ahead you head a faintly familiar grunt. You look past Links shoulder as he swings out his sword. The green beast looks up at you both as it charges. You want to look away but you don't. Link stashes it and continues to ride past. Blood leaks from its shoulder as it turns and tries to chase you, but Epona was too fast for its frumpy little legs.
"It's not so bad now is it?" Link asks "not like when we were kids."
"You're right" you agreed. Through the woods and into Hyrule field there were a couple more monsters, but none did you any harm with Link by your side. Once you enter the field you hear a screech from above. Both you and Link look up to see a monstrous bird. Way larger than any bird you've seen before. Even larger than some humans you've encountered. You duck down low in fear and Link stabs the sky and rides Epona at the same time. The monster goes down as you carry on. You look back for only a moment before smiling widely at Link.

Hyrule Field was more vast than you could have imagined. In the distance you saw the castle growing closer. You took a second look at the distance and noticed it was surrounded by a grayish, orange fog. You turn around once more to see the normal blue sky behind you, then once again ahead to see the dusk covered castle town ahead.
"Link that can't be normal" you gasped "that looks... other worldly"
"Do you want me to turn back?" He asks loudly over Eponas gallops. You hesitate before answering.
"No" you insisted. Both you and Link have not been outside Ordon since you were very young children. Maybe the outside world is different than the small town you're used to. Your nerves grew more intense the closer you got. You rest your head in Links back once more, not wanting to look forwards. Something felt off. You felt like something bad was going to happen.
"Huh!?" Link exclaimed as he halted Epona. You grab onto him tighter as the force of her standing almost knocked you off. Once Epona was on all fours again you leaned to the side to see what startled Link. Your mouth grew completely agape. A wall or blackness blocked your path. In this wall was orange text you could not understand. Link jumps down but stops you when you attempt to follow. "___, stay here" he commanded
"Link, stop. You'll get hurt" you tried to grab onto him but he grabs your hand and stops you. His eyes meet yours in a somber sort of way. Your own eyes looked back worryingly. "Stay here with Epona, it might not be safe" Link takes off his wooden sword and hands it over to you.
"Link! No! Stop!" You howl as he turns away from you and heads towards the void. You may be from a small town, but you know this could not be normal. You look ok in horror as he grows closer. Your brain tries to command your legs to jump down and stop him. Shakily you dismount Epona and cautiously make your way to Link. Before you go to far a loud rumble erupts from the blackness "LINK!" You scream as a large black arm reaches out and grabs him. You run full speed forgetting any fears you once had and try to catch up to him. But, it was no use. Link was pulled into the void. You run your hands along its black and orange body. No amount of force will break the barrier. You could not enter. You could not save Link.

You turn around with your back to the void, slide down to the ground hugging the wooden sword, and cry. You cry harder than you've ever cried in your life. Link was gone. You're best friend was dead. You were now trapped in this field with only a wooden sword to protect you. And, many trials and tribulations ahead.