Chapter Eight

When all else fails you must look for consistently to hold onto sanity. Every day ends with night, and every night will end in the morning and sun will rise once more. Maybe that is what scared you most about the Twilight. Not the monsters or even losing your body. But the fact that the sun never rose or fell. The morning never came to save you from the darkness.
Link made you wait outside every time he went in with Midna. You'd stay right at the Twilights edge, somewhat hoping a monster would pull you in so you had an excuse to help without Link being mad at you. All that would be pointless though because as soon as you would enter your body would be gone.
You waited as he saved Kakariko Village. Only when the blackness faded did you re-enter and meet with the children of Ordon again. They cheered as they thanked Link for saving them. They all told the men that gave them shelter how they knew Link would come. How brave and courageous he was. You stood behind him smiling softly, but your hands clenched tight. Beth took notice.
"What's wrong, ___?" She asked taking her attention away from Link for only a moment.
You released your unintentional grip and scratched the back of your head nervously as everyone turned to look at you "Oh, nothing. Just a little stressed about everything I guess" You fibbed "I'm just happy you're all safe." Everyone seemed to accept that answer as they carried on thanking Link.
"We mustn't forget" Renado began as he turned back to you "your bravery and courage led you here as well, even if your body did not follow it, and for that, we thank you." Your eyes widen for a moment, but you seen gain your composure. You hadn't expected anyone to thank you as well. Considering you couldn't help Link it seemed to only be a kind gesture by Renado.
"Yeah, ___. I know I couldn't have done it!" Exclaimed Beth "that's like, super brave and cool you came all this way for us."
"I coulda done it!" Insisted Talo. Everyone let out a small giggle
"Thanks, guys" you blushed.
"You both have many challenges ahead of you. I think a lot of people will have to rely on you both to save them. The world has become a dark unknown place now." Renado signed "luckily we have you to guide us through it."
Both you and Link nod. "We will do our best." You assured him.

Goodbyes are said and done and now you and Link walk in the vast Hyrul field. Epona gallops to meet you. Link reaches out to touch her face. You smile up at them both as the sun reflected off your eyes. Link looked over and smiled back at you.

"I'm so glad you're here." He said "with me."

"As am I." You agreed with a smile blush on your cheeks. Link reached down and grabbed your hand and wrapped your fingers in-between his own.

"If you guys are going to continue with all those lovey dovey stuff I'm going to barf." Midna sighs annoyed. Link lets out a smell chuckle.

"Ignore her." He demands.

"Ignore me?" Midna questions "I think there are more important things going on in the world than your little love fest." She huffs.

"We'll all save the world. And, we'll do it together." Link smile. Midna shakes her head once more.

"Love will do nothing but distract you." She argued "the only other thing love will do besides distract you is hurt you. Which would you prefer?"

"Neither." Link says "the world isn't that black and white." You blush at Links words. Was Link really admitting to loving you? Right here right now? He certainly didn't deny it. You hated to admit it, but apart of you agreed with Midna. There were more important things than love going on right now. In fact, you weren't sure how you felt in this moment. Everything was happening so fast.

"I'm not here to distract anyone." You argue "I'm more capable of things than you think. I'm able to help. I want to help."

"Oh really?" Midna asks with a wide smile "of yours so capable and able, why don't we put you to the rest then?"

"Midna." Link warns angrily.

"What's the test?" You ask ignoring him. Link looks at you surprised.

"You don't have to prove yourself, ___." Link assures you.

"I know I don't." You say "I want to." Midna laughs.

"Okay, girl, why don't you go kill something, I have yet to see you kill anything or be of any use." She looks around for a moment before spotting one of the green monsters walking around in the field. Her eyes light up with eagerness. "There!" She points. Her smile revealing her one sharp tooth. "Kill that beast."

"___, no." Link commands. You feel your heart beat in your throat. Link grabs you and holds you back "no, I won't allow this."

"Oh alright, alright." Midna sighs "I guess we can do with only one hero." Your blood began to boil. You ripped your arm away from Links grasp.

"Fine!" You say angrily "you want me to do it? Then I'll do it!" Your hand reached for the hilt of your sword but Link reaches out to stop you.

"No! ___-" before he can finish you cut him off.

"Why not?" You ask as you pull yourself away further "why don't you think I can do it?" You ask him.

"It's not that I don't think you can't do it" Link protests.

"Then what is it then?" You ask. Link hesitated. That gave you all the answers you needed. Link didn't think you could. He only allowed you to come along because he thought he could protect you. Not because he thought you'd be useful. He saw you the same way Midna did. Useless. You didn't plan on being useless anymore.

You turn your back to Link and grab the hilt of your sword. You hear the boy call after you as he attempts to chase you down. You unsheathe your weapon gaining the attention of your target. Link begged you to come back. But, you weren't going to let anymore doubt you anymore.