Chapter Five

Good on This Side

The sun shines through the same window. It hits the same spot on your face. It wakes you up just the same. The warmth is gone this time. Robbed by the night and taken to the twilight. You wrap yourself in the blankets you sowed, on the bed you'd both lay in. Without him.
Without him the village is falling apart. Ilia, Talo, Malo, Colin, and Beth all disappeared following him. You were the sole youth left in the village. Which made you wonder. What's left here in this village for you? Would Link want you laying in bed all day, mourning his departure? How pathetic are you wallowing in your pity? Maybe that Midna creature was right, maybe you would only get in the way.
So, what are you going to do about it? What would Link do if he were in this situation?
He'd get up. Link would jump out of this bed. So you do. Link would run down this ladder, practically breaking his ankles in the process. So you do that, too. Link would mount Epona, and ride into the forest. Which you plan to do, but you need more than a wooden sword this time. This time you need a real sword. A steel sword. Like Link. You ride to Rusl's house and jump off your horse. You run to his door and knock frantically.
"Hello?" He asks confused and groggy. His eyes widen slightly at the sight of you "___" he breaths softly "come in."
"I need a sword" you state, ignoring his offer. "I need to get Link back. I need to go find the kids. To find Colin." You inch closer to him in excitement. He inched back obviously confused. His wife sat behind him, obviously very pregnant. Her brow rose as she listened to your claims. This was unlike you. Being so assertive and proactive.
"___, I understand you want to help, but I don't know about you going alone." Rusl warns "you don't know the dangers out there."
"Neither did Link, and he went" you rebuttal "I want to bring them all home, Rusl." You looked him in the eyes, practically begging for his help. He sighed heavily.
"It's not safe, you should know that more than anyone" he replies, making you think of your mother. You understood the dangers, but the rewards outweigh them all.
"It's not safe for me, just like it's not safe for your son. He needs me. You can't go, your wife is pregnant. Link can't save him. Who else do we have but me?" You ask "I know you may not believe in me. I know I may not be as brave as Link or as strong as him. But, I promise you I want to help just as bad as him." Rusl looks down at the floor, pondering for a moment.
"The sword I crafted for the Royal Family was stolen in the night some time last week." He scratched the back of his head "...I do have another" he mumbled under his breath.
"Does that mean?" You being to ask
"It does" Rusl confirms
"Thank you!" You cheer happily. Rusl shakes his head.
"Don't make me regret this kid" he says sternly. "I am only letting this happen because you have Epona." He turns around and walks past his wife, who gives you a soft smile. You return the favor. Rusl shimmies around in a chest for a moment. He then walks over with a sword wrapped in white cloth. He unveils the sword and hands it to you handle first "and, because I believe in you." You smile ear to ear; eyes beaming with joy for the first time since Link left you.
"You won't regret this, I promise." You reassure him.
"I wish for your safe return." He says as you and him exchange your goodbyes. With that you turned your back and ran to Epona. With her by your side you embark on a mission you once thought impossible for someone like you. You ride out of you're little village of comfort, and into the cold unforgiving unknown world.

The steel blade was much more effective than your wooden stick. It slashed through the small goblins with ease, and the birds in the sky did not attempt to attack you after your first couple of kills. You have yet to encounter one of the large black beasts you did in the woods that fateful day, but if you were now would be the time. You were more prepared than ever. Both mentally and physically.
Your eyes pan up to Castle town; it was still covered in blackness, but no longer shall that deter you. You head to the wall that too Link from you, and kept his body in the process. You dismount Epona and give her one last pat before your journey.

The wall was like water, yet it pushed back when you tried to enter. You kicked, punched, and slammed yourself against it to no avail. Looking back it was a hand that brought Link into the void. Maybe you would need the same. But, you weren't sure how to go about that. You step back and look at the wall of black. It wrapped around the hills edges. That must mean there are other points of entry. You hop on Epona once more and ride along the black twilight, stopping at every point possible to try and gain access. Eventually you come to a rocky desert area, that you assume to be Kakariko Village. You slam against the wall desperate for a reply. You step back for a moment ready to give up. When the wall begins to rumble. You feel your pulse in your neck rapidly beating. A hand, much like the one that grabbed Link lurks out of the darkness, and reaches over to grab you. You scream at the top of your lungs as you are launched into a world unknown.